Tell me more - Can-Am Commander Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 02-06-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Tell me more

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and it looks like there's an overwhelming amount of info here.

I am planning to buy a SxS and sell my current quad in late summer. I am interested in a sport utility machine although I do play a little more than work with my current Grizzly 550. I primarily trail ride, get into some rocks (nothing ridiculous), and occasionally will catch a little air with the Grizzly. I prefer the idea of having a dump bed and definitely want a plow for it.

I sat in a Commander the other day along with a Wolverine X2 and was doing a little research at the dealer since both of these interest me.

I noticed right away that the Commander was much more comfortable and the seating position felt better than the X2. It's easier to get in and out of also.
What are some of the common problems with this machine? Any reliability issues?
Is it a pain to do your own oil changes with the mid mounted engine?

I don't know anyone with a Commander, so I will take any info I can get.
Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 02-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Here's a few thoughts: as you noted, the commander is comfy and has good ergonomics. BUT, they get hot in the cab and they are loud in the cab. The x2 should be cooler and it's supposed to be substantially quieter.

The commander has a fast top end speed. 70 +/- a few mph, depending on the particular machine, windshield, roof, etc. The x2 is limited to 52 or 53mph. To remove the limiters, you need this: https://www.wellerracing.com/WR-Edit...4-_p_3860.html That, with stock clutching and tires will put you around 60mph. Tires, and clutching will get you close to a commanders top speed but probably still slightly less. JBS has clutching for the x2 and x4 - https://jbsperformance.com/?tabid=55 I ran his sheave and weights in my rhino and it was great. Still, the commander is fast out of the box. The 11-17 1000cc commanders have 85hp and the 18-19 have 92 hp. I'm not sure what the yamaha 850 produces. I think the 800cc commanders are 70ish hp.

As to everyday use power, there's probably not a lot of difference.

Coming from a yamaha's ultramatic, you will hate getting used to machines like can am or polaris, which don't use a constant tension cvt and wet centrifugal clutch. The are not smooth when you take off like a yamaha. There's an rpm build up, then the primary grabs the belt, there's usually a clunk and then you're moving. You can lower the can am's engagement with a low speed engagement spring, which helps a lot with this irritation. Otherwise, its best to get on the gas solid to take off, then let off to where you want.

I don't find it particularly hard to change the oil on the commander. It's sort of tedious getting all of the pins out of the plastic to get to the motor but once you get a pin pulling tool and do it a few times, you get used to it.

I suspect that at the end of the day, that the yamaha will be more reliable but you can have problems with a given unit from any manufacturer.

Yamaha comes with doors. Commander doesn't. Yamaha has fully lockable front diff.
4x4ff likes this.

2011 1000XT
post #3 of 53 Old 02-06-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! What do you think on the handling, suspension, general drivability?

When you say it's hot in the cab, is it hotter than a RZR 900S? My buddy has one and that's all I can base my questions and observations on.
I saw a comment somewhere about the "dated" appearance, but I like the way it looks. Glove box is huge and the over-under bed is a nice feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 02-06-2019, 04:16 PM

I donít have any experience with Polaris. Iíve always been afraid of them. Lots of folks complain about the hot commander cab but it doesnít bother me much. I like it in the winter. I come from a rhino and it was warm too.

The commander has a fairly short wheel base, which gives a a pretty small turning radius, which is great on the trails, but makes it a bit rougher. Some folks complain about the suspension and say that the models with Fox shocks are better. I have the xt which does not have Fox shocks. But I have the rt lift/shock relocate which helped some. I donít ride too hard though.

As to looks, I think itís still the best looking sport/ute. Mines an 11 and looks as good as any to me. Pic below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6D14F522-76DE-417D-98F5-B6C1D0359C5C.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	59505  
Crashgoins and sugarfoot like this.

2011 1000XT
post #5 of 53 Old 02-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Commander is probably one of the hottest sxs out there. Thereís thing that can be done to cut down on the heat. If you are compact it to a 900 rzr you are comparing apples to oranges. Compared to a full sport suspension the commander sucks . But again thereís things that can be done to help with that as well. So the question is comfortable cab with a bed or little bed with decent suspension.
Bill_Rowe and sugarfoot like this.
post #6 of 53 Old 02-07-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Slowindown- That's a great looking machine! Can you give me a web link for the lift/shock relocate kit? I searched but I want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing.

Acefire- The RZR is the only one I've had a little seat time in. I thought about the General, but it's a bit more expensive. Especially once you start adding a plow and other accessories. I think the bigger bed is for me though, even if I have to sacrifice a little on the suspension side. I'm just trying to learn what I can before plunging in.
Thanks for the help guys.
post #7 of 53 Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Well you will love that heat when plowing . Most of us wrap the exhaust and use heat tape on the inner panels. It helps a good bit. Thermotech is the tape I used and you can get the exhaust wrap at any speed shop or thermotech as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sugarfoot likes this.
post #8 of 53 Old 02-07-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefire View Post
Well you will love that heat when plowing . Most of us wrap the exhaust and use heat tape on the inner panels. It helps a good bit. Thermotech is the tape I used and you can get the exhaust wrap at any speed shop or thermotech as well.
Great! Thanks!
post #9 of 53 Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfoot View Post
Slowindown- That's a great looking machine! Can you give me a web link for the lift/shock relocate kit? I searched but I want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing.

Acefire- The RZR is the only one I've had a little seat time in. I thought about the General, but it's a bit more expensive. Especially once you start adding a plow and other accessories. I think the bigger bed is for me though, even if I have to sacrifice a little on the suspension side. I'm just trying to learn what I can before plunging in.
Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks. The lift should be the first thing on this page: https://rtproutv.com/shop-by-model/commander.html
sugarfoot likes this.

2011 1000XT
post #10 of 53 Old 02-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Garage
I ride with a group of all sorts of rides Yamaha YZ's, Rzr's, Wolverines, Terx etc. For utility use with a bed that is useable I still find my Commander X does what I want, the Fox suspension package on the X really helps with all adjustments on the suspension. Bed tilts and holds firewood, camping gear, coolers etc and a spare tire. I have driven a Honda Pioneer 1000 last trail ride and for Utility with bed type of vehicle it was a good ride and quiet driving worth looking at, I just like my commander seating better. But it is all about what you want and need and don't hurry at it try a bunch out new and used and get what works for you. Next on my list will probably be the X3 Turbo the older I get the more need for speed I get. But that is only me. Pick what works best for you.
sugarfoot likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode