Will there be a 2020 Commander? - Can-Am Commander Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Will there be a 2020 Commander?

So what do you think?
I know a couple guys who in the past would have purchased the Commander for working around their property and a little trail riding. Both just purchased Defenders. With the new 4 seater Maverick Sport 60-inch wide with 100 hp, is there a place for the Commander Max?
Will BRP come out with a "new" Commander after 9 model years, or just phase it out?
If BRP would put the original Maverick 14-inch front and rear suspension on the Commander, with some fresh plastic, it would be a real challenge for the Polaris General -IMHO.

Last edited by Traildale; 09-20-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Honestly didnít think there would be a 18 model .
post #3 of 23 Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 PM

IMHO, I don't see the Commander going away but it's in dire need of upgrades.

Defender is 80% work 20% play

Commander is a 50/50 mix of both

Maverick X3 is all play.

Maverick Trail is going to be the ATV killer.

If the Commander gets a 100hp 800cc and a 125hp 1000cc (think detuned last gen Maverick engines) and getting a face lift (again, last gen Maverick) the RZR's and General are going to get scrapped with all their recalls.

Here's hoping BRP hears me.

-Kris
Verado, Bill_Rowe and Notonk like this.

President - IdahoUTV January 2017 - June 2017

NEW TO ME!
2016 Maverick xDS Turbo

2014 Commander 800XT
RacerTech Lift/Shock Relocation

Towed by ....

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QCLB SRW
Titan Fuel Tank - 50 gallon
Nathan AirChime K3LA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-21-2018, 04:43 AM

Thumbs down

Marine One,

I talked with some BRP/Can AM Rep's at a recent dealer event.....and (according to them) the Commander/Sport Utility segment will continue to be produced by BRP. Unfortunately, they also told me that the old Maverick XDS (like mine) are no longer being produced in 2019 and beyond! I was so disappointed, I decided to go over to the dark side and bought a new 2019 Polaris Ranger Northstar with Ride Command (pick it up tomorrow). I told the guys at BRP if they built a Sport/Utility (Commander) with long travel suspension, 120 hp and have an option CAB/HEAT/AIR CONDITIONING along with an optional XRS @172 hp I would cancel my order......(they had nothing to offer but nine year old technology, I'm out).
JTROCKS likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-21-2018, 02:26 PM

There's a nearby dealer that sells both Polaris and Can Am. Back in early August I stopped in to kill a little time on my way to St Louis. A couple I'd guess in their late50s, early 60s had a Commander and a General parked side by side...and were determined to take one of them home that day. They couldn't have possibly cared less when the salesman told them the Polaris had 10 more HP. The wife said the Can Am was much more comfortable, easier to get in and out of and had much better front visibility. The husband hated the huge doors on the General. After the salesman walked away I stuck up a conversation with them and told them I had a Commander. Obviously they had questions and I told them about the heat in the cab and the noise issue of having the engine and gearbox between the seats. I left before they made a decision but I'm sure they took the Commander. The point is....there are a lot of things that are appealing about the Commander to people who just want a nice, cool looking, comfortable machine to cruise around in. Not everyone wants to challenge themselves or the machine. The geezer market likes them...and they seem to be the ones with the time and money. Sure it could use an update but dropping it would seem crazy. I don't want a Defender or Ranger and I don't want a Maverick or RZR. I want something in between and I bet I'm not alone.
Michiganvommander likes this.

2012 1000 Limited
post #6 of 23 Old 09-22-2018, 06:33 AM

This old Geezer still likes his Commander and ride it 4 days out of 7. I also have a 2017 XMR that doesn't get rode but a few times a month. We use the Commander on our property to take the trash to the front gate which is 3500' from the house, use it to go to the pond and feed the fish and we always have an excuse to cruise around and look at our land. We have a few miles of trails on our place and couldn't count how many laps we have on them way to many to count. My 2011 Commander has been thru A LOT of parts so many that it is a hybrid 2018 model LOL. We love the XMR but the Commander is the Geezer go to every time!!!

Last edited by Mud Yapster; 09-22-2018 at 06:36 AM.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 AM

Hybrid 2018.... lol.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #8 of 23 Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 AM

I really like my commander, especially the storage. Having the box and then the cubby underneath for my tool box, chainsaw, and tow straps. I have spent untold amounts of money and time making it a better machine for our riding style. We like the cockpit room and visibility. That being said I am looking very seriously at the new Maverick sport X RC. Now I will have to figure out how to down size what I carry on our extended mountain trips.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-22-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluMtn View Post
I really like my commander, especially the storage. Having the box and then the cubby underneath for my tool box, chainsaw, and tow straps. I have spent untold amounts of money and time making it a better machine for our riding style. We like the cockpit room and visibility. That being said I am looking very seriously at the new Maverick sport X RC. Now I will have to figure out how to down size what I carry on our extended mountain trips.

Yes you would. Drastically. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #10 of 23 Old 09-22-2018, 02:43 PM

I love my Commander. In my opinion, it has the best combo of power, utility, speed, comfort, ergonomics, and looks. No way, no how would I ever buy a Polaris. Too afraid of breaking down. If I ever considered something new and a Commander wasnít available, I would opt for the Wolverine X2. So for me, there is definitely a market. The sport sxs are nice, but doesnít fit my personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion