Light bar with EMP plastic roof and windshield - Can-Am Commander Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Light bar with EMP plastic roof and windshield

Hi everyone, pretty new here, bought a basket case (farm used and abused) '14 and have it torn completely down for an overhaul. Among many other things, ordered a EMP cooter brown roof for it and need to get a light bar coming. It has a factory windshield on it which I've mostly polished out (any tips there??).

On my Rhinos I always mounted a light bar under the roofline, but on the can am I'm thinking the cage is a bit shorter. I'd also like to keep it below the roof line as I'm afraid of tearing it off while gliding under trees (the roof is a great tool you know, and I use it). Will any of the bracket kits out there work with the windshield/roof combo and put it where I want it? Or is that too low? 40 incher seems about right on this? Trying to get it ready to haul up to the property this weekend and currently have the cage off and the roof coming UPS, so doing my best to plan!

2014 800 DPS, 2in lift, 29 Bighorns, Lights, Roof, Dirt Doors, etc. Bought an ex-farm truck and doing/did a complete rebuild.

(Sold) 2006 Rhino, 719cc stroker, ported head, cam, 13:1 on pump, billet support, HSR45, cdi, gorillas, trinity duals, 30s, HIDs, every possible motor mod to make it need rebuilding every month or two.

Last edited by wabbastang; 07-23-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-23-2018, 01:49 PM

Garage
There are varying thoughts on it but Mine is mounted on the roof and I haven't had a problem with it. Mine is a 40" and seems about right. Depends on your top. My daughter and son in law put I believe a 24" one on theirs because it fit better in the roof line. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180506_152337.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	57995  

2014 Commander 1000XT DPS
RT 2" Lift
RT HD Tie Rods
GP A-Arm and Shock Bushings
Audioformz top with Alpine radio and 4 speakers, backup light and interior dome light.
SuperATV Rock Sliders
Dirt Tamer Tires 27x12x12, 27x9x12
STI HD beadlock rims
SuperATV flip up windshield
40" LED lighbar
4K Viper Elite Widespool Winch
Switched Sports Low
UATV-Tech Lockup Mod
Holz Rack Stiffner
Hayden Fan Controller
Titanium Exhaust Wrap
Dirt Industries Doors
Troy's Console Cover
post #3 of 12 Old 10-10-2018, 03:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbastang View Post
Hi everyone, pretty new here, bought a basket case (farm used and abused) '14 and have it torn completely down for an overhaul. Among many other things, ordered a EMP cooter brown roof for it and need to get a light bar coming. It has a factory windshield on it which I've mostly polished out (any tips there??).

On my Rhinos I always mounted a light bar under the roofline, but on the can am I'm thinking the cage is a bit shorter. I'd also like to keep it below the roof line as I'm afraid of tearing it off while gliding under trees (the roof is a great tool you know, and I use it). Will any of the bracket kits out there work with the windshield/roof combo and put it where I want it? Or is that too low? 40 incher seems about right on this? Trying to get it ready to haul up to the property this weekend and currently have the cage off and the roof coming UPS, so doing my best to plan!
I donít know if youíre still looking for a light bar mounting system. I am sending you a private message.
MattR likes this.

If it doesnít fit donít force it, get a bigger HAMMER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-14-2018, 10:36 AM

Hey there,

Be patient and all will be good I am sure. You will enjoy the final outcome.

As to the light-bar, keeping it below the roof is a great way to ensure it is not hit or damaged by limbs etc. BUT, and especially with a windshield, above the roof eliminates glare and such from the windshield. I have been in some bikes that the glare is unbearable so I went with the "on roof" setup. Mine was a bit easier given the Sport Roof installed on my Limited XT.

Good luck and keep us posted.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-15-2018, 01:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead800 View Post
I donít know if youíre still looking for a light bar mounting system. I am sending you a private message.
I am looking for one. Send me a PM please.
Hammerhead800 likes this.

2011 Can Am Commander 1000
1986 Honda TRX350 4x4
1998 Yamaha Grizzly 600
post #6 of 12 Old 10-15-2018, 09:16 AM

When I bought mine the light bar was under the roof and it had a half windshield. I thought it would be great but the glare on the flipped up edge of the windshield was terrible. It was like looking at fluorescent bulb so I moved it to the roof. Not exactly on top of the roof, but kinda to the front of it. I made a bar to act as a guard. It wouldn't save it in a violent encounter but I don't do much heavy brush.
As for your windshield polish...a friend and I undertook the project of salvaging the basket case windshield on his Gator. We wet sanded it with 2000, 3000,4000 and 6000 paper then buffed it with a foam pad and Meguiars Scratch X v.2. It actually turned out well...and it was really bad. The sandpaper thing might not be necessary on one with lesser damage. I highly recommend the ScratchX stuff.

2012 1000 Limited

Last edited by thunderroad18; 10-15-2018 at 09:20 AM.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-15-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post Outcome of mounting with roof

Hey all, suddenly there's a bunch of activity so I thought I'd follow up.

I ended up buying a set of inexpensive no-name

- they were about $25 with hardware (price has since changed but there's lots of these same ones). I decided if they were way off I'd just cut and weld and make it work, still would be much quicker than making them myself.

Already had the roof installed when the brackets arrived. Upon initial fit-up, it looked like I needed to slit the roof a bit as they seemed to be maybe 3/8" too high to fit together, so I cut a little slot on each side. However, all said and done, it was unnecessary and they fit just fine together (now the slots just catch brush, I need to snip the tabs off). It all worked great, so anyone else with one of these roofs just pick up a set of brackets off eBay or Amazon.

As for glare/below roof mounting - In really dusty scenarios (such as following on gravel/dirt roads) when dust builds up it does get hard to see as that reflects the light. If I stop and wipe it down regularly it's OK (the inexpensive Kolpin windshield has held up great to dust cleaning too!!). That said, I will put another [smaller] light bar down below specifically away from the windshield for riding that way. I won't mount the light bar on top of the roof - We like to do some pretty heavy exploring, and it would have easily been ripped off or destroyed many times over by now...just not an option.

Added photos; the two of my rig shows how they fit with the roof and my unneeded cuts and the last is the brackets I found on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181015_075550.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	58711   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181015_075529.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	58713   Click image for larger version

Name:	61WSwsv4S3L._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	58715  
MattR likes this.

2014 800 DPS, 2in lift, 29 Bighorns, Lights, Roof, Dirt Doors, etc. Bought an ex-farm truck and doing/did a complete rebuild.

(Sold) 2006 Rhino, 719cc stroker, ported head, cam, 13:1 on pump, billet support, HSR45, cdi, gorillas, trinity duals, 30s, HIDs, every possible motor mod to make it need rebuilding every month or two.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Good plan. Glad you got it worked out. I mounted a single row, 20" light bar between the bars of the front bumper and rarely use the upper one unless I really need the extra light.

2012 1000 Limited

Last edited by thunderroad18; 10-15-2018 at 11:32 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 10-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Garage
They look nice and glad to see the pics of everything mounted. I bought a 42" light bar and was thinking of the same type of brackets that I found on ebay.

2011 Can Am Commander 1000
1986 Honda TRX350 4x4
1998 Yamaha Grizzly 600
post #10 of 12 Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead800 View Post
I am looking for one. Send me a PM please.
Pm sent

If it doesnít fit donít force it, get a bigger HAMMER

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode