rear axle change, need help please - Can-Am Commander Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-16-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

rear axle change, need help please

Ok fella's I have read (I think) all the post's regarding this job.

I dropped both rear shocks (drivers side rear is what I am replacing), pulled the end from the diff free, and still no love. I can almost get it out. Is there some kind of trick?

I am really trying not to disassemble the A arm. I'm not a wrencher and the fewer things I actually take apart the better off I am.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Chloe's daddy
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-16-2015, 11:32 PM

You must remove the rear arms. It will not come out if you don't. And if you actually get lucky to get it out. You will not get it back in. Don't mess with it too much cause of you damage the diff seal. Your doing this all over again.

2013 Commander LTD
Rad Relocate
Maverick Dual CVT cover with full snorkels (4" Blowers on intake)
Elka Stage 4 shocks
RT 2" lift
Turner axles
QSC AND STM
Maverick Belts
Richochet
30"outlaw radials on ITP beadlocks
Rigid light bar
BRP tail gate protector
Blingstar doors
Dual batteries
Turnkey tie rods
QE rackzilla
Halo Locker
XMR rear diff
Dual ron woods exhaust
EJK tuner
Tiger tail
Bollax limiting straps
EMP Front Bumper
Exhaust header wrap
post #3 of 22 Old 07-17-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

is there a "how to" for the A arm? Do I need any special tools??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-17-2015, 09:46 AM

Remove your rear sway bar and then there is one long bolt that holds the rear trailing arm to the bike . Very easy to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A list of mods extreme bumper,hid lights,led light bar,powersteering,rackzilla,customlift;outlaw tires,beadlocks,dual batterys dual exhaust,dualwinchs,full warn skids custom cab,heater ,black box,clutchkit,roof,tunes,gorilla frontaxles,2013QE diff,custom built front driveshaft,pipewrap,low sport ,blower, fan over ride, BEST MOD maverick rear diff,quiet and tuff , turner rear axles, custom center console cover that controls all heat and noise IM DONE.............
post #5 of 22 Old 07-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
Remove your rear sway bar and then there is one long bolt that holds the rear trailing arm to the bike . Very easy to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To add to what Troy said, I look up the parts list sometimes and try to see what that can help with to better understand.

Lots off add ons, just ask, the trick is to figure out what you really need, not what you think you want, and that applies to allot of things in life!

In the barn . . .
08 KLR650 Early Release Poster Bike
99 King Quad 300
post #6 of 22 Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

So if Im lookin at this right. The nut at the end of the A arm rod, The four bolts on that rectangular attachment point, Then pull the bolt, (all the way or just far enough to clear?) back from the A Arm???
post #7 of 22 Old 07-17-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssage View Post
So if Im lookin at this right. The nut at the end of the A arm rod, The four bolts on that rectangular attachment point, Then pull the bolt, (all the way or just far enough to clear?) back from the A Arm???
There is no A arm in the rear, just terminology, its the swing arm.
1. Loosen the big nut on the end of the axle while the tire is on the floor, sometimes you have to strap around tire to keep from spinning, I don't like using park. Then jack up and make safe and remove wheels.
2. Remove torsion bar bolts and bar. Also on the passenger rear, remove single nut and drill out rivets to caliper brake line, then remove caliper and hang out of way.
3. Get jack stands under rear swing arms both sides.
4.Remove lower shock bolt, loosen top one, tie up shocks out of way.
5. Remove big nut on ends of shaft.
6. Remove long bolt and nut from swing arm at the frame. Have help here if possible, heavy and jamming fingers is possible.
7. Rotate swing arm up and slide of end of shaft carefully and straight.
8. Reverse for assembly, follow torque sequence for torsion bar, mount caliper, put nut and clamp back on brake line and rivet back the other clamp.

There are seals on the swing arm pivot, spacers and washers, seals on the shaft joint through the swing arm, be aware, clean the and the contact points, look for dirt etc. Does not hurt to have spare seals around just in case.

Lots off add ons, just ask, the trick is to figure out what you really need, not what you think you want, and that applies to allot of things in life!

In the barn . . .
99 King Quad 300

Last edited by takethetime; 07-18-2015 at 08:33 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Official Site Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by takethetime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bssage View Post
There is no A arm in the rear, just terminology, its the swing arm.
1. Loosen the big nut on the end of the axle while the tire is on the floor, sometimes you have to strap around tire to keep from spinning, I don't like using park. Then jack up and make safe and remove wheels.
2. Remove torsion bar bolts and bar.
3. Get jack stands under rear swing arms both sides.
4.Remove lower shock bolt, loosen top one, tie up shocks out of way.
5. Remove big nut on ends of shaft.
6. Remove long bolt and nut from swing arm at the frame. Have help here if possible, heavy and jamming fingers is possible.
7. Rotate swing arm up and slide of end of shaft carefully and straight.
8. Reverse for assembly, follow torque sequence for torsion bar

There are seals on the swing arm pivot, spacers and washers, seals on the shaft joint through the swing arm, be aware, clean the and the contact points, look for dirt etc. Does not hurt to have spare seals around just in case.
Now that is a well thought out, educational post on How To.

Check out my web site
* NEW E-MAIL Address*
[email protected]
post #9 of 22 Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 PM

Thanks, I'm learning Bollax!

In the barn . . .
99 King Quad 300
post #10 of 22 Old 07-17-2015, 05:23 PM

I just replaced a rear diff in mine with out pulling swing arms. Took top shock bolts out. Loosened the swing arm nut on each side and the swing arms dropped far enough down for me to yank the axle out of the driver side. Then I unbolted diff slid over to driver side and and popped the passenger side out. Getting them in took two people since I was worried about knicking the axle seals and they both needed to go in at the same time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode