Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Spicer U-Joint Part Number

20K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  acefire 
#1 · (Edited)
The Spicer part number for the u-joint is a 5-1503x.

Your Welcome.

All over ebay for 20 bucks.

#5 ·
I wanted a u-joint without the grease zerks. It's obvious that greasing the OEM regularly didn't stop them from failing. The non-greasable ones run for the lifetime on most trucks so why they use the greasable ones on these Commanders surprises me. Especially since it's such a bit*h to get to those ones above the skid plates.
I found my Napa dealer had the MOOG 398 as an option to replace the rear's on my '13 commander.
I installed them this past weekend so we'll see how they hold up. I usually use MOOG in all my truck front end parts and have had good luck.
Are the front u-joints a different part number and if so does someone have the cross reference u-joints for those?

thanks
I always learn so much from these forums and love them.
zeppelindad

#6 ·
let us know how it works as i would rather have some fully sealed ujoints also!

#10 ·
yes I agree with grease even though this happened to mine. I really hope that greasing prolongs anymore issues. never seen a grease plug so hard to get to. I ended up picking up a greasing needle and it was still a task and made a mess but I was able to get grease in them. I love my machine and just got it in October but this is what I hate about it!!!!

Attachments

#15 ·
yes I agree with grease even though this happened to mine. ... I love my machine and just got it in October but this is what I hate about it!!!!
Man that blows!!

I can add to the notion that non-greasables are the way to go. They are a standard swap for Jeepers to get the factory greasables off. You can put money on it that the Jeeping community has figured out what will hold up the best long term. That said, I'd say that SXS parts are likely to get a heck of alot more abuse in worse conditions than the majority of Jeeps.

Reactions: acefire
#11 · (Edited)
https://screenshots.firefox.com/eAZVDzp6wnUoprrH/www.allballsracing.com

Poached this from All Balls for info purposes fronts are still not available from spicer but if anyone else want to try the dimensions are cap to cap 55mm 2.167
cap diameter 22mm .867

And as for the non serviceable ones yah I get it the seals are supposed to be superior but I didn't get a full season out of a set on the rear particularly p398 from Napa made by Moog/Precision FYI.

Oh and the parts fiche shows front joint for a 14 #703500814
and 15# 715900183
If anyone pulls a 15 out do try and get a measurement so we know if it's just BRP changing #'s and using same part thanx!!

#16 ·
Cooking hot environment splashed constantly with cold or at best luke warm on a hot day water and mud your service life is pretty short regardless. Maybe drill a cap on the non serviceable and at least try and flush any water or trash out.

#21 ·
Thanks acefire.
It lasted 5k miles but you'd really think they should be testing these to handle horsepower and weight. Was it in 13 they moved the production to Mexico or were the commanders always built there? I'm not impressed with quality on this machine compared to my 09 outlander with 9k miles. That's been flawless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
If you can push grease in the seals suck. Non serviceable are double sealed . We learned this back in the mud truck days. Non serviceable joints lasted 3x longer than serviceable . When I was hunting down that part number spicer didn’t make a non serviceable joint in that size.

#30 ·
Here’s how you check . All balls sells junk everything including ujoints . Get on their website and pull it up . They will list every yr that the joint fits . I do know around 15 they changed the front joints to larger size but not seen anything on the rear . Looks like they didn’t change till 2017 on the rear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.