Limp mode - Can-Am Commander Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Fires the side by side up has not been ran all day pulled out of the yard hit gas it dies down went into limp mode and said check engine. I turned it off waiting a couple seconds and it ran fine. Does anyone have a clue why it does that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 PM

It thinks you have low oil pressure (but your op is probably fine).

2011 1000XT
post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 05:28 AM

Check oil just to be sure.
Something you can try if oil level is good
1) Start Engine
2) Leave in Park or Neutral
3) Rev engine to 2,000 / 2,500 RPMs for 30 seconds and see if it clears the Limp Mode out
When it's fairly cold and mine hasn't been run in a while, it goes into limp when started (Low oil pressure causes this (on mine), as the sensor picks up the oil pressure prior to the engine reaching normal oil pressure)

Works for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

The oil pressure is ok. Just so you have an idea i am in zephyrhills florida (very dry and hot weather) after i ride for a few hours the unit starts spuddering and dies out and continues to do this till it cools off. Any ideas on that issue? BTW THANK you for info on last question.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 11:02 AM

That's probably going to be either fuel supply or ignition.

This is what I would do - go to autozone, o'rielly's or some auto parts store that has a loan-a-tool program. Borrow their fuel pressure gauge. Pull the passenger seat and fuel tank plastic cover. Install the fuel gauge in the line from the tank. Start the machine. The gauge should indicate 50 psi +/- a couple psi. Then run the machine til it is hot so that it is sputtering as you describe and check the fuel pressure. It should be the same. If the fuel pressure stays the same then your pump and the sock filter on the bottom of the pump are ok and fuel delivery is good, unless there is a problem with your injectors. The injectors are probably ok. If the fuel pump is bad, there's an orielly part number floating around which is a more affordable replacement.

In general, the problem you describe sounds a lot like an ignition coil going bad, which is exacerbated with heat. I've had problems on other small engines where the coil was bad and the machine would run fine until hot and then if you turned it off, it would not restart until it cooled down, or, as you describe it ran rough and died. So, that may be an area to look. I don't know how much coils are from the dealer but there are aftermarket coils on ebay and amazon for around $25. I would replace the plug wires too if replacing the coil.

Spark plugs are something cheap to switch out, although if it's starting, they're less likely to be the problem.

I would also pull the exhaust tip and then pull out and clean the exhaust screen.

Someone else may have some other thoughts.
JTROCKS and Gabegtorres like this.

2011 1000XT
post #6 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Orielly's # fuel pump E16013 filter S13006----Quantum from Amazon with kit HPF-382-CA

slowindown likes this.

14 XTP 1000 custom made race top lol, 30 in Sirius LED lightbar, 20 in led backup, DZ Fan overide,SSV works audio. Full Kolpin tilting windshield.BRP Lateral skids,Holtz Racing steering rack brace, Blingstar doors,Pro Armour door bags,Tusk cab bag,Troy's cool console cover,Can Am soft rear window,Denali 72" pro plow, Troy and Ed's clutch lockup mod!! Racer Tech lift and dual rate springs,oh yea!29.5x9" Warthogs on all 4's for now
And whatever else yanks at my wallet..OUCH !!!

Last edited by JTROCKS; 06-05-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 02:21 PM

You did a good job covering this one Rock !

ROCK ON !!
JTROCKS likes this.

A list of mods extreme bumper,hid lights,led light bar,powersteering,rackzilla,customlift;outlaw tires,beadlocks,dual batterys dual exhaust,dualwinchs,full warn skids custom cab,heater ,black box,clutchkit,roof,tunes,gorilla frontaxles,2013QE diff,custom built front driveshaft,pipewrap,low sport ,blower, fan over ride, BEST MOD maverick rear diff,quiet and tuff , turner rear axles, custom center console cover that controls all heat and noise IM DONE.............
post #8 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 04:34 PM

Hey, what am I, chopped liver!?! LOL

2011 1000XT
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate all the info i will check it out in the next day or 2 and give an update.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-07-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowindown View Post
Hey, what am I, chopped liver!?! LOL

Did not want to hurt your feeler . Guess I should of read the complete thread .

A list of mods extreme bumper,hid lights,led light bar,powersteering,rackzilla,customlift;outlaw tires,beadlocks,dual batterys dual exhaust,dualwinchs,full warn skids custom cab,heater ,black box,clutchkit,roof,tunes,gorilla frontaxles,2013QE diff,custom built front driveshaft,pipewrap,low sport ,blower, fan over ride, BEST MOD maverick rear diff,quiet and tuff , turner rear axles, custom center console cover that controls all heat and noise IM DONE.............

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander 800R

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode