Loss of power question - Can-Am Commander Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Loss of power question

I own a 2017 Can Am Commander 1000xt and we were out riding when we got into about 12” of water. I was going fairly slow so I didnt soak my kids in the back seat and about midway through the water crossing we bogged down and got stuck. We got it pushed out of the spot we were stuck in and out of the water but had lost power and the Can am wouldn’t get out of first gear. We had to push it to get it moving and once we had it up to about 5mph it was able to keep itself going at that low rate of speed until we would hit a hill.
In order to get back to the truck we had to cross water one more time and knew we couldn’t get through it so I brought my truck down to tow it across. When I was towing it across the river it bogged down and snapped the winch and when it did that my brother who was in the Can am popped it into drive and hit the gas and it took off with full power again. Since we haven’t had any real issue but I’m not sure what would have caused this issue and am afraid it will happen again and strand us. I opened it up to look at the belt and it is in great shape. Just not sure where to go next. Any suggestions?? I also feel like it runs at a higher than normal rpm all the time but this is the first Can am product I’ve owned so I’m not an expert on how they are geared. At 30+ mph I feel like the engine always sounds like it’s working pretty hard. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Sort of sounds like the belt slipping. Also wonder if the ignition wires might have been wet or it took a drink of water. Was it in limp mode? Was the seat belt buckled during that slow episode?

My cat can out-sleep your dog.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

30 mph it will run a easy 5000 to 5500 rpm so yes it does sound like itís screaming . While you have it apart spray everything down with water hose and see if you can get it to repeat what happens on the trail .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-11-2019, 02:46 PM

What they said. And welcome to the forum.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander 1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode