Can-Am Commander Forum banner

She's hot!

7K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Cormander 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I'm new to a Can Am Commander 1000xt. 1 thing i noticed is how much heat comes up through the space where the shifter is and under the cup holders. Is this normal? If so is there something that can be done to try and eliminate some of this heat coming through.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum! The heat is normal with the mid-engine design. There are a few different strategies to combating the issue. The three most common are a console cover, wrapping the exhaust pipes and installing a bilge type fan in the “tunnel”. Use the search bar and you will find numerous threads on each one. Good luck to you!

#12 ·
Last post on the bilge fan thread was 7-02-2019. That’s pretty up to date . ANY heat you get out is less heat in the machine. Again, I was just trying to help the OP. My apologies OP if you feel I’ve steered you in the wrong direction. That was not my intention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Please look at pictures I posted on post #8 and post #12. Those are pictures from the thread I get when when when I click on the link I posted in post #6 trying to help the OP. At this point he is probably ready to sell his BRP product. I was trying to welcome him and help him. As far as the bilge fan, again, ANY heat out is less heat in. ❤

#16 ·
Congrats and welcome to the forum, heat is normal for these commanders I have pipes wrapped, Thermo-Tec on the backside of the plastics and one of Troy's console covers and it is waaaaay better last news was Troy does not have a builder so only other option I know of is Tite-Tops
Cool Cover
Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
PS I must admit my disappointment as there was no hot chic pic's lol

:devil:devil

Reactions: acefire and dirtnap
#17 ·
Congrats and welcome to the forum, heat is normal for these commanders I have pipes wrapped, Thermo-Tec on the backside of the plastics and one of Troy's console covers and it is waaaaay better last news was Troy does not have a builder so only other option I know of is Tite-Tops
Cool Cover
Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
PS I must admit my disappointment as there was no hot chic pic's lol

:devil:devil[/QUOTE]
Here you go JT! I have one better, but can't post it on a family forum.

Attachments

#27 ·
I have a box from Amazon with the heat shield in it, since it's still in the box it isn't helping much for the heat! Lol
Has anyone tried putting a rubber boot where the shifter is at? Seems like I've seen them in tractors or somewhere, to keep heat from coming up through there? Flat rubber with a slit for the shifter maybe?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

#29 ·
There’s a thread in this forum where someone did boot the shifter on the underside. I person don’t think there’s enough heat coming up through the shifter to worry about it. But when blasting through the woods both hands are in the steering wheel not holding the shifter . Most of the heat you are feeling when driving is coming off the radiator especially when the fan it running . If you have a fan override you are constantly blowing hot air into the cab. Faster you go the less heat comes into the cab and mote out the back .

#30 ·
In addition to what ace says, a fan override actually tends to reduce in cab heat imo. It keeps the engine cooler so there is less heat radiating and even though it’s blowing hot air from the raidiator into the tunnel area, it is causing air to move and exit.

Frankly, the heat has never bothered me as much as it does some. All of the factory insulation is gone from the underside of my plastics and my pipes aren’t wrapped. I have the fan override and I insulated the cup holders. I’ve had dei’s insulation kit in a box for a couple years...one of these days I’ll install it.

#31 ·
HI. I am new to the site. I have a 2017 commander 1000xt and has removed all the plastic inside the machine met plan is to try to reduce the heat and noise in cab. I noticed when I took the plastic off that the padding is still on back side. Here is my question. Has anyone removed the the manufactures foam put thermo tec on plastic then of foam back on? I thought it might help. If you have what type of adhesive did you use to attach it? I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you!

#33 ·
Most of the factory foam is going to fall off anyway due to the environment hot/wet repeat, and the exposed side of the thermo-tec shield is a heavy duty tin foil type of surface and is designed to reflect heat if you could get the adhesive to hold it you would have added sound barrier but imho it's more than likely going to be a waste of time. A note on the heat shield installation I have found that covering any exposed seams with a duct type reflective tape will ensure none of the black matting will melt and also keep any water from getting to the adhered area making it stay much longer.

Reactions: Syon
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.