And now this... - Can-Am Commander Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

And now this...

Been having an issue lately where machine don't want to run when first started. Idle for a minute then quit. Now it's getting hard to start when does it. Then last night we went out and I was in high gear. Started up mountain so I switched to low range and it would barley go for about 10 seconds. I know air filter needs replaced going to get one today. Is this a fuel pump issue or the air flow sensor? Where is the air flow sensor located so I can clean and has any one ever put Seafoam or that type of product in fuel tank or in engine when changing oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 10:24 AM

I would definitely check the fuel pressure. Mine did much as you describe when I had inadequate pressure.

I “borrowed” a fuel pressure gauge from autozone or oriellys and installed it in line in the line from the tank. I was only getting around 30-35 psi. You should have 50ish to run right. There’s a sock filter at the intake of the pump assembly in the tank and the pump itself that can be replaced.

Also, check your exhaust screen as they can clog. I take mine out occasionally and clean with a brass brush.

2011 1000XT
post #3 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowindown View Post
I would definitely check the fuel pressure. Mine did much as you describe when I had inadequate pressure.

I “borrowed” a fuel pressure gauge from autozone or oriellys and installed it in line in the line from the tank. I was only getting around 30-35 psi. You should have 50ish to run right. There’s a sock filter at the intake of the pump assembly in the tank and the pump itself that can be replaced.

Also, check your exhaust screen as they can clog. I take mine out occasionally and clean with a brass brush.
Where is exhaust filter located? Im pretty sure i can find the fuel pump. And do you know where air flow sensor is? I'm going to assume its close to the motor. Google told me nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 11:53 AM

The exhaust screen is accessed by removing the 3 Allen screws which hold the exhaust tip on. Then just pull off the tip and the screen out. Don’t worry about the tip gasket. It’s paper and will likely be trashed. Use hi temp silicone in place of the gasket. There’s even odds that one or more of the nutserts will be rusted and have to be replaced if antiseize was never used. See this thread on adding new ones and I can send you a few if you need them. https://www.commanderforums.org/foru...tip-bolts.html

The fuel pump is in the gas tank. The filter is at to foot of the fuel pump assembly. There a lock ring you tap to loosen to pull the filter out.

The air sensor your referring to is in the plastic intake between the air filter and plenum - on top iirc. Pull the switch panel back and you should see it between there and the filter box.
Gold Rush likes this.

2011 1000XT

Last edited by slowindown; 07-06-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. If it's a fuel pump i can get that from a parts store correct? Seen in another thread a E16013 fuel pump is perfect and affordable replacement. But didn't see it on Advance Auto website.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...er=interchange

Last edited by twilliams33; 07-06-2019 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Really needed it
post #6 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 01:04 PM

That's the O'rielly's part number for the pump. When I bought one, my oriellys had it in stock. S13006 is the oriellys number for the filter sock, they likewise had it in stock. The sock is $12 at orielly. The pump is $114 - it used to be considerably cheaper.

For another source, JT posted this online link for fuel parts the other day: https://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-1323...-1000-efi.html The pump is $84 here.

Given that Orielly stocked it, it must be a common pump so there are probably other cross references at other local stores. Summit racing has it for $35 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atx-e8335 which I believe is the same pump.

Here's where the air sensor you mentioned is (#3):

When mine was running like crap, this is a video I made of the low fuel pressure (I had a rusty fuel tank, which was clogging things and I eventually replaced it):

2011 1000XT

Last edited by slowindown; 07-06-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Waiting on neighbor to get home. Almost guarantee he has something for me to test fuel pressure and I will take it from there and let you know. Thanks again for your help.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-27-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

just getting around to checking this because of other issues I have had. I got a tester but can't seem to find how to hook it up. I'm assuming I break the line at the y and connect. Just need help figuring it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9030328_acn_cp7818_pri_larg.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	61019  
post #9 of 16 Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 PM

https://www.toolsid.com/oem-tools/0-...SABEgIMCfD_BwE

Yes you will need a tee and short hose to where you split after your Y this should be in most kits as it has the male threaded portion to attach the gauge.
Bill_Rowe likes this.

14 XTP 1000 custom made race top lol, 30 in Sirius LED lightbar, 20 in led backup, DZ Fan overide,SSV works audio. Full Kolpin tilting windshield.BRP Lateral skids,Holtz Racing steering rack brace, Blingstar doors,Pro Armour door bags,Tusk cab bag,Troy's cool console cover,Can Am soft rear window,Denali 72" pro plow, Troy and Ed's clutch lockup mod!! Racer Tech lift and dual rate springs,oh yea!29.5x9" Warthogs on all 4's for now
And whatever else yanks at my wallet..OUCH !!!
post #10 of 16 Old 08-27-2019, 12:36 PM

Also want to add to this I'm going back in to the pump as it's down to 40 psi and running like crap and just so everyone knows first replacement pump @6500 miles tank was removed and rinsed nothing in it but went thru the motions anyway so here we are at just shy of a 1000 miles and it was acting up so while inside it seamed to me that the pump sounded fine so did kwik change of regulator and it ran great up and down the road but I wanted to change out the pump and order a new regulator so there was spare fix in the parts drawers (I don't have a shelf) lol
So to get to the [point I didn't get much riding in this weekend with this new pump and I won't mention any names but it sounds like small balls pacing! and we are in the warranty process and I will be putting one in from autozone @nite and report back with my findings early 2000's toyota 4 bangers camary/celica's and such is what the Orielly's # crossed to so good luck and I will be gathering the data with pic's so maybe we can sort these non quality ones out for the future.

14 XTP 1000 custom made race top lol, 30 in Sirius LED lightbar, 20 in led backup, DZ Fan overide,SSV works audio. Full Kolpin tilting windshield.BRP Lateral skids,Holtz Racing steering rack brace, Blingstar doors,Pro Armour door bags,Tusk cab bag,Troy's cool console cover,Can Am soft rear window,Denali 72" pro plow, Troy and Ed's clutch lockup mod!! Racer Tech lift and dual rate springs,oh yea!29.5x9" Warthogs on all 4's for now
And whatever else yanks at my wallet..OUCH !!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander 1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode