steering rack slack adjuster - Can-Am Commander Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
steering rack slack adjuster

hi all, i changed my tie rods to superatv tie rods because mine were wore out but since then i noticed that i have some play in my steering wheel......i saw some other post where you can tighten the slack adjuster on the steering rack? can someone post a pic and detailed explanation of how to do this? if this isn't the problem, what else could it be........its a 2013 x model with 1000 miles and didn't do it before i changed the tie rods.......thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Well if it didnít do it before you changed the rods it canít be your rack . Something I your rods not correct ?

A list of mods extreme bumper,hid lights,led light bar,powersteering,rackzilla,customlift;outlaw tires,beadlocks,dual batterys dual exhaust,dualwinchs,full warn skids custom cab,heater ,black box,clutchkit,roof,tunes,gorilla frontaxles,2013QE diff,custom built front driveshaft,pipewrap,low sport ,blower, fan over ride, BEST MOD maverick rear diff,quiet and tuff , turner rear axles, custom center console cover that controls all heat and noise IM DONE.............
post #3 of 12 Old 06-10-2019, 05:25 PM

old school steering could have a "slack adjuster" back when steering gear had a worm drive ,but todays rack & pinyon steering ,,,not so much.. follow Troys advice , also check the rack mounts & bushings & shaft from the rack to st . wheel for any looseness .mine is a 2012 x with 2300 miles & is as tight as new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-11-2019, 04:41 AM

https://www.maverickforums.net/forum...ring-rack.html

I have had the joy of pulling the rack out and cleaning and regreasing due to a torn boot allowing water in and used this as a guide hope it will assist you seeing all of the components.

14 XTP 1000 custom made race top lol, 30 in Sirius LED lightbar, 20 in led backup, DZ Fan overide,SSV works audio. Full Kolpin tilting windshield.BRP Lateral skids,Holtz Racing steering rack brace, Blingstar doors,Pro Armour door bags,Tusk cab bag,Troy's cool console cover,Can Am soft rear window,Denali 72" pro plow, Troy and Ed's clutch lockup mod!! Racer Tech lift and dual rate springs,oh yea!29.5x9" Warthogs on all 4's for now
And whatever else yanks at my wallet..OUCH !!!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the great rewrite up. Tough job in any event ! Like most things on my ride you almost have to take it all apart to get what you want out to repair or replace. All the folks kickin' in with help has saved my bacon several times.Ths forum is the best ! Thanks again ! 😁😉😎
JTROCKS and Boogerhead like this.

Chariot Racer !
post #6 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 07:02 PM

Garage
Wink

Rackzilla close ratio rack, fixes all slop. bite the bullet and easy to install diy. Just saying been there done that.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 12:10 AM

I'll take that advice ! I've been having problems with the steering also. 😁😎

Chariot Racer !
post #8 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaScott View Post
Rackzilla close ratio rack, fixes all slop. bite the bullet and easy to install diy. Just saying been there done that.
I bought and installed this rack and havenít driven the machine since because I still have an issue with the steering I canít figure out. (Not saying it's the rack.) TexomaScott, I have a couple of questions for you if you have time.

1. When you did the install did you use the supplied spacers between the rack and the mount?

2. When you did the install did you loosen all 8 bolts on the DPS unit?
Thanks in advance for any help since my favorite Stinger mechanic refuses to take my calls anymore. Booger sad now. : (

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #9 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Thought you were selling old stinger as is . I heard that ace cut you off with freebee UTV repair service .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A list of mods extreme bumper,hid lights,led light bar,powersteering,rackzilla,customlift;outlaw tires,beadlocks,dual batterys dual exhaust,dualwinchs,full warn skids custom cab,heater ,black box,clutchkit,roof,tunes,gorilla frontaxles,2013QE diff,custom built front driveshaft,pipewrap,low sport ,blower, fan over ride, BEST MOD maverick rear diff,quiet and tuff , turner rear axles, custom center console cover that controls all heat and noise IM DONE.............
post #10 of 12 Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Thatís right !!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander 1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode