Looking at a 2018 mossy oak 1000 commander. - Can-Am Commander Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-10-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Looking at a 2018 mossy oak 1000 commander.

I found a used 2018 commander and was wondering if there is anything to look out for. I never drove one but have a lot of seat time on a wheeler. Itís still under warranty with low miles. First what would be a fair price as it comes with skid plates ,roof and windshield, gun holders and different front bumper. Also how are the stock shocks. Just plan on trail ridding and work around the house. Any must have accessories? Thanks for any help as this will be my first side x side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve800x View Post
I found a used 2018 commander and was wondering if there is anything to look out for. I never drove one but have a lot of seat time on a wheeler. It’s still under warranty with low miles. First what would be a fair price as it comes with skid plates ,roof and windshield, gun holders and different front bumper. Also how are the stock shocks. Just plan on trail ridding and work around the house. Any must have accessories? Thanks for any help as this will be my first side x side.

If you get serious about trail riding I would put on the RT Pro 2 " bracket lift kit which will give your ride more clearance and stiffen up the weak suspension system. I also put on 1.5" wheel spacers to put a Band-Aid on the tippy feeling. If all you do is light trail riding and working around the house I doubt that it will be an issue; If you start using the winch, replace the cable with a synthetic rope. A Mossy Oak edition should have most of the skid plates excepting trailing arms, front a-arms, and left and right lateral skid plates which are a must for serious trail riding. As for the price, depends on where you are, hours/mileage and condition.

2017 Commander 1000XT DPS - Mossy Oak Edition
RT Pro 2"lift (best mod)
SATV HD tie rods/Rackboss steering rack (worst mod)
Turnkey spare tire carrier
BRP trailing arm/A-arm protectors, lateral skid plates, side mirror, panoramic center mirror, headlight guards, rock sliders, half windshield, rear windscreen, sport roof, Maverick post air filter, Twin Air filter, Profill gas tank sock filter, Maverick belt, sport doors, door bags, LED light bar/roof rack.

Last edited by Notonk; 05-13-2019 at 12:20 AM.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I just picked it up today. 155 miles on it. Driver seat has a small tear where the plastic rubs on it. I hope thatís a warranty thing. I didnít test ride as it was raining out. It also came with pro armor doors that he never put on. He got the doors used and are missing the front clips that mount near the seat beat clicker. Where can I buy these? Also came with 2 gun holders which were never installed with tons of hardware. Bike has never seen mud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 03:05 PM

Congratulations on your new ride. The 2Ē RT Pro lift is a great addition. The DZ motor sports sport low harness is my favorite mod as far as performance goes. With both of these mods stay away from cheaper lesser brands. Period. Open your wallet and go have some fun! Booger.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #5 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Congratulations. If the seat cover isn’t warranted, the bottom cover is about $45 plus shipping at an online oem parts supplier as I replaced mine several months ago (I think I got it at partshark or it may have been procaliber - if you have a dealer nearby it may be about the same from them). There’s approximately 4 screws that hold the seat bottom to the seat frame. The original and replacement cover has a sort of plastic zip lock type of connector around the perimeter which slides in and snaps into place (same thing they use in automotive seats).

After you do that, use a sanding drum with a dremel and dremel out the area in the plastic where the seat squished out to and rubbed. I’m attaching a pic of where I dremeled mine below.

Do you need the striker bracket or the latch for the door? I’m assuming the striker bracket and I’m assuming you’re talking about the oem doors by proarmor?

Anyway, if you’re talking about the striker bracket, if you can’t order them from the dealer, try pro armor but don’t tell them you have the oem pro armor doors or they won’t sell you parts. I think they use the same bracket on their aftermarket doors as they do on the ones they make for can am but not 100%, plus see note below.

Another solution and mine is using dragonfire’s striker bracket - my brackets are dragonfire with hardened bolts for strikers, as the oem strikers didn’t fit the bracket - I bought my oem proarmor doors from a guy who was “upgrading” to dragonfire doors. He left the old oem brackets in his machine and sent me the new dragonfire ones, as that’s the hardest part to install when doing doors. Pic below of one of mine.

One other note, I saw someone mention that their aftermarket pro armor doors required a vertical striker but someone else said theirs had a horizontal striker like the oem ones. Which do yours require?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F92D8A97-B167-4B14-8615-C91BE2E9B11E.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	60419   Click image for larger version

Name:	6EB06FA3-571C-4376-B1B5-AE7AAD02414A.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	60421  
Steve800x likes this.

2011 1000XT

Last edited by slowindown; 05-12-2019 at 04:25 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

It’s the part with the pin I guess. Also I found a pre filter kit. Not sure if that was suppose to be installed from the dealer. In the glove box there is a plug. Is this for a winch control as I don’t see one anywhere. It has full skid but will order front and rear protectors. Also a rear bumper. Still have to set up the gun racks.
Also with 26 hours and 155 miles when is the first service due?

Last edited by Steve800x; 05-12-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 PM

The plug in the glove box is for a wired winch remote. I use it much more than the dash switch. Very handy. Not sure if the more recent models came with them or they were an accessory. You can get them pretty cheap for the winch you have, warn or superwinch.

If the filter you mention is the one in the picture below it is a post filter. It has a couple of plastic pieces that snap together and goes under your airlfilter. It does a really good job of stopping the dust that gets past the paper filter. It is an oem accessory so would not have been installed from the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3354DED-54C9-4645-B661-0EBC2A92AF1D.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	60423   Click image for larger version

Name:	72F2ADA3-DC2E-4138-9F02-BAA7EAFF8FD3.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	60425  
Steve800x likes this.

2011 1000XT
post #8 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 AM

If you are in warranty, Can Am knows about the defect with the seat rubbing against the panel and premature wear over the seat cover. It also helps to have the seat moved up a little in addition to trimming the plastic. A Can Am dealer would have to file the claim. When it happened to mine, I found the original posting with photos and gave it to the dealership. Can Am sent a new cover and cushion. The dealer trimmed out the panel with a dremel like tool but over time a new hole formed. Fourtunetly a replacement cover is not an expensive item.

2017 Commander 1000XT DPS - Mossy Oak Edition
RT Pro 2"lift (best mod)
SATV HD tie rods/Rackboss steering rack (worst mod)
Turnkey spare tire carrier
BRP trailing arm/A-arm protectors, lateral skid plates, side mirror, panoramic center mirror, headlight guards, rock sliders, half windshield, rear windscreen, sport roof, Maverick post air filter, Twin Air filter, Profill gas tank sock filter, Maverick belt, sport doors, door bags, LED light bar/roof rack.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

The pic on the left is the filter I have. So it should be installed? No control for the winch came with it so Iíll look on eBay or my dealer. It has the Best warranty till 3 2020 so Iíll get the seat redone at the dealer. The doors Iíll ask my dealer to see if they can order the parts needed to install. When is the first service due? 50 hours? If I could remember how to post a picture I would show you.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I put the pre filter in today. Man that oil is sticky thatís on it. Door hardware is 110 bucks. Seat they will not cover under warranty at they say itís a wearable item. I said it rubbed on the plastic but Iím on best warranty now. Wtf. Drove it for the first time today. Think it need mirrors. What do you guy like.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander 1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode