Shock recommendations - Can-Am Commander Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 04-08-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Shock recommendations

We just got our Commander from a family member who had already installed a Super ATV long travel setup and new springs (no idea what the difference is between them and stock) but looks like stock shocks (rear driver is leaking, gonna have to do something soon). We live in Grand Junction CO and go out to UT regularly...Moab area when it's not full of degens and citiots, mountains when the snow melts, mostly desert riding. We'd like to be able to tear ass and crawl without changing too much up. What do y'all recommend? What's the high end, best upgrade vs. good enough for the season while saving for the high end. Feel free to throw out your favorite non shock upgrades while you're at it! I'm already looking at full skid plates, front bumper, lights, recovery gear, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 04-08-2019, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

You wonít be able to do any decent high speed to go take the lift kit off. Satv doesnít make long travel kits they make lift kits. As for shocks anything is better than the stock xt shocks . So it all depends on how much you want to spend . If money is no object give Gary at gforce suspensions a call he can build you a set for what you are needing .
Troy likes this.
post #3 of 50 Old 04-08-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

That's the leaking shock. Took it in to the shop today. They said the stock shocks can't be rebuilt but OEM replacements were only about $100 each. Going with a new pair of OEM rears and will save up for a set of Fox/ Elka/ Phantom/ etc. later.

Just out of curiosity Ace, why do you say that the lift will screw with speed on uneven terrain? I figured the stiffer springs and wider stance would help. My uncle was building it up to race (just some fun stuff on his property in OK, nothing serious) when he passed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 04-09-2019, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

That is a satv lift kit. Itís not a quality long travel. Itís built for mud and big tires not speed. You go thrashing throw the woods at high speed and it will bend and or break. Springs actually have nothing to do with speed when it comes to lifts.
JTROCKS likes this.
post #5 of 50 Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

I got the rear shocks replaced with OEM for now, I'll upgrade them down the line as I figure out the best setup for our uses. The shop pretty much said the same thing about the lift-- SATV has some cool ideas but not the best execution and we'd be better off going back to stock. I also can't mount my beadlocks because there is currently a wheel spacer that won't work with the beads and there's clearance issues if we take off the spacer. I had them tighten everything up and set the shocks a little stiffer. It's a little irritating that there's no alignment adjustment on the SATV stuff so we can't correct the squirrelly ride at high speeds. We're just going to run it like it is for now and when something breaks we'll go from there. So, is my best option to go back to stock or are there better aftermarket options for wheeling in the desert?

post #6 of 50 Old 04-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Find a used long travel kit. Not sure if anyone actually still makes them for the commander but used kits show up from time to time .
post #7 of 50 Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefire View Post
Find a used long travel kit. Not sure if anyone actually still makes them for the commander but used kits show up from time to time .
Any suggestions re: brands?

post #8 of 50 Old 04-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Holz HRC dragon fire there used to be a Dozen or so companies but most went to the ways side when the mav came out .
post #9 of 50 Old 04-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

not sure if this is even still available but itís not showing out of stock .
post #10 of 50 Old 04-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Ouch that's a down payment on a new mav!

14 XTP 1000 custom made race top lol, 30 in Sirius LED lightbar, 20 in led backup, DZ Fan overide,SSV works audio. Full Kolpin tilting windshield.BRP Lateral skids,Holtz Racing steering rack brace, Blingstar doors,Pro Armour door bags,Tusk cab bag,Troy's cool console cover,Can Am soft rear window,Denali 72" pro plow, Troy and Ed's clutch lockup mod!! Racer Tech lift and dual rate springs,oh yea!29.5x9" Warthogs on all 4's for now
And whatever else yanks at my wallet..OUCH !!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander 1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode