Crown nut shearing cotter pins - Can-Am Commander Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old 12-20-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Crown nut shearing cotter pins

What's up guys, new to the forum. I have a Commander 1000. Just put High lifter A Arms and 2" lift. Haven't been able to ride since. First the front driver side axle kept pulling out of the differential. Super Atv sent axle stenders. Thought I was good to go. Now the crown nut keeps shearing cotter pins and backing off. Any ideas on what might be causing this. I'm stumped. Thought it might be a something in the front diff because the axle came out a couple times,maybe got junk in it and broke a gear or something, but I jacked the machine up and the front diff is letting both front wheels spin freely. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Axles to short thatís why they pulled out. But only loosens when bearing is bad and is losing preload or the Dru shaft threads are stretching and causing but to loosen.
post #3 of 66 Old 12-20-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

If it is loosening with enough force to shear cotter pins it is most probably the bearing then huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 Old 12-20-2018, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

I would start there. As bearing loses preload the nut loosens . Once nut is loose the nut works back and forth which whittles down the cotter pin till it cuts clear through.
post #5 of 66 Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 PM

Yeah when my front bearing went out. The nut backed off a bit and was chewing up the cotter pin.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is, that it will not be needed until they try to take it

2011 Commander 1000 X.
2 piece tilting windshield, vinyl top, can am dust screen, CSI Outer Armor soft doors, Quadgear soft 2 gun case
Rackzilla rack and pinion. Maverick Gear Box with sport low, Lock up Clutch, RT lift, Torque lock
K&N Air filter, Airaid, EJK
post #6 of 66 Old 12-21-2018, 09:13 AM

Are you using Belleville washers behind the axle nut?

My cat can out-sleep your dog.
post #7 of 66 Old 12-21-2018, 09:48 AM

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully these folks can help get your issues fixed quickly.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #8 of 66 Old 12-21-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruegersc View Post
What's up guys, new to the forum. I have a Commander 1000. Just put High lifter A Arms and 2" lift. Haven't been able to ride since. First the front driver side axle kept pulling out of the differential. Super Atv sent axle stenders. Thought I was good to go. Now the crown nut keeps shearing cotter pins and backing off. Any ideas on what might be causing this. I'm stumped. Thought it might be a something in the front diff because the axle came out a couple times,maybe got junk in it and broke a gear or something, but I jacked the machine up and the front diff is letting both front wheels spin freely. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
If you do not have 165 ft. lbs. of torque on the belleville washer and / or the crown of the washer is facing wrong direction that will cause what you are experiencing but usually after the bearing is shot !
kruegersc likes this.
post #9 of 66 Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Which way does the crown of the washer need to face?
post #10 of 66 Old 01-02-2019, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Crown to the nut .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander 1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode