Bilge fan location - Can-Am Commander Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-14-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Bilge fan location

Thinking of installing a bilge fan. Where is the best location for it ? Under console or tap into cvt duct ?

2011 commander 1000 x

Thanks
Highway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-17-2018, 11:13 AM

Garage
I am not sure what others have done. But I think around the steering colum area. I think about installing one. But i am worried about it having enough cfm so the restriction isn't an issue with the original flow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway View Post
Thinking of installing a bilge fan. Where is the best location for it ? Under console or tap into cvt duct ?

2011 commander 1000 x

Thanks
Highway
post #3 of 21 Old 07-17-2018, 07:29 PM

Here's the location I picked on my Max. Put it as high as I could in the tunnel, pretty much under the gear selector. I don't run mud or deep water, so it isn't much of a concern for that. I just needed to try and further reduce some of the cab heat. Already wrapped the exhaust and Thermotec'd the panels. Wanted one of Troy's covers, but was a little late to the show for one that fit a Max. For next to nothing I thought I'd give this a try.

I put a piece of closed cell foam under it to try and reduce any vibrations and also to protect the hoses that are just above it. It's a 4" marine bilge blower fan that I have hooked straight to the battery with an intermediate switch and fuse. Not fancy but it does move a little air. Its a little noisy when you are stopped, but you can barely hear it when you are traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170909_152450.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	57905   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170909_152447.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	57909  

2017 Commander Max XT
BRP Sport Roof
BRP Glass Windshield
BRP Soft Doors & Rear Panel
BRP Rock Sliders
BRP Pano Rear View Mirror
BRP Gear Rail
BRP Intake pre-filter
BRP Maverick Post Air Filter
Thermotec Lined panels
Exhaust Wrap
Seizmik Side mirrors with custom mount extensions

Last edited by MasterofNone; 07-17-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-18-2018, 07:10 AM

Do you feel that this mod was worth the time? Can heat is a big problem in these commanders

2017 commander max xt 1000, commander sport roof, can am rear mesh dust screen, super atv flip up windshield, 28" itp blackwater evo tires, can am full doors. Lanzar amplified Bluetooth speaker, rt pro 2" lift, can am soft rear panel
post #5 of 21 Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM

Heat is a big issue because of the bed, it's deep which keeps the heat in. The least you want to do is line the panels with something. I mounted my fan higher because I ride mud the inlet is close to the hood scoop and points towards the motor
post #6 of 21 Old 07-22-2018, 08:27 AM

I just installed one.

I just put one in my Limited 2 seater last night. I still haven't even put it back together yet. Its hard to find a spot for the fan on a 2 seater. So, I used some ducting hose and ended up mounting it on the "firewall" near the right front wheel well. Then I ran more ducting hose to get the inlet up higher in the wheel well. Im not sure how well it will work but talked to a guy that said that it really helps. I didn't now whether to use a 4 inch fan or a 3 inch. I went with the 4.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-22-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledsuperman View Post
I just put one in my Limited 2 seater last night. I still haven't even put it back together yet. Its hard to find a spot for the fan on a 2 seater. So, I used some ducting hose and ended up mounting it on the "firewall" near the right front wheel well. Then I ran more ducting hose to get the inlet up higher in the wheel well. Im not sure how well it will work but talked to a guy that said that it really helps. I didn't now whether to use a 4 inch fan or a 3 inch. I went with the 4.
Did you fit it in the cvt duct work just let it blow through the tunnel ? My fan will be here this week.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-22-2018, 11:42 PM

Duct location

I ran the ducting into the cavity in front of the engine. It is about 4-5 inches in front of the exhaust pipe curl as it comes out of the engine. I should've taken pictures but i didn't. The kids drove it around the yard a little today so no real testing yet but so far it seems to work well.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledsuperman View Post
I ran the ducting into the cavity in front of the engine. It is about 4-5 inches in front of the exhaust pipe curl as it comes out of the engine. I should've taken pictures but i didn't. The kids drove it around the yard a little today so no real testing yet but so far it seems to work well.
Thank you and sounds good. Update us up when you take it for good long ride.

Highway
post #10 of 21 Old 07-23-2018, 10:57 PM

I used the Attwood 4 inch for the higher CFM, and then used a rubber adapter and 2.5 inch wet/dry vacuum hose. It's been working like a charm.

The blower is zip-tied under the original intake, pointing down, so I don't suck any water in.

-Kris

President - IdahoUTV January 2017 - June 2017

NEW TO ME!
2016 Maverick xDS Turbo

2014 Commander 800XT
RacerTech Lift/Shock Relocation

Towed by ....

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QCLB SRW
Titan Fuel Tank - 50 gallon
Nathan AirChime K3LA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander 1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode