Can-Am Commander Forum banner

MICHIGAN GUYS! Trail Master Challenge @ Twisted Trails

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kjlcrandell 
#1 ·
Alright guys...this looks like a lot of fun, I'm going to make it to the first race for sure and possibly hit the others...depending on how the first one turns out. Also, this isn't just open to Michigan guys...Anybody who wants to make the drive is welcome.

Basically it is an off road race at the Twisted Trails Offroad park, which is about 35 miles south west of Traverse City, MI. The course is 5-6 miles long, and consists of high speed open areas, trails, mild rocks (and I was assured a stock RZR can handle the rocks), and some jumps.

The proposed dates are:
may 7th
june 4th
aug 20th
oct 15th

Their website:
About Us - twistedtrails.com

Here is some footage from last year:

There are 3 classes:

Class A (approx 3 hour race):

Side X Sides (Rangers, RZR's, Rhinos, Commanders, etc., etc.) So far, this is an open class...stock engine, modified engine, stock suspension, modified, etc...it doesn't matter, "run what ya' brung". But if there is enough interest in this class, they may divide it up to make it a little more fair (stock class, and modified class).

Class B (approx 4 hour race):

Trucks, jeeps, etc. Max tire size is 35", must have 50% original body, must have 50% original frame. More details in the attached rules.

Class C (approx 4 hour race):

Trucks, Jeeps, etc. Open to whatever you can build, there should be some crazy rigs in this class.

Max 30 people per class.

There will be a $100 entry fee, plus a $25 transponder rental fee. Class C already appears to be full already, but B and A are still open. Obviously us UTV guys will be class A. You don't have to pay ahead of time, you can pay the day of the race...but you have to register before hand...30 people MAX per class, so it will fill up eventually.

Payouts will be

1st: $600
2nd: $400
3rd: $300
4th: $200
5th: $100

(based on 25+ entries per class, adjusted accordingly if they don't have 25 or more)

I am not affiliated with this park, this race series or anything in any way. I'm just a local guy who is interested in running my RZR and wanted to pass this along to more local guys. There is only 1 Class A guy registered so far, so I wanted to post this here to try and get a few more.

There is more info on the race on the attached images, but if you want...check out this link to Great Lakes 4x4 where this is being discussed.

trail master challenge at twisted trails 2011 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Attachments

See less See more
1 3
#5 ·
I have never been to that park, so I really don't know much about the open riding areas or hours/schedule...but I'm sure you could go out there and just cruise around if you wanted. There are a few new big offroad parks in Michigan (well, new within the past year or two). You have the one mentioned above (Twisted Trails in Traverse City), and then Rocks and Valleys offroad park in Harrison, MI, and lastly there is Bundy Hill offroad park down in Jerome, MI. I have been wanting to hit Bundy hill because it is fairly close to home for me, but I spend 99% of my offroading time at Silver Lake, so I haven't tried any of the new parks yet.

I'm new to any type of organized racing, so I'm really looking forward to this competition. I know there are a handful of RZR guys that are going to run, but I'm unsure of what/who else will sign up. I would really like to see a few of these new commanders out there to see how we REALLY stack up (RZR vs Commander). I'm sure you guys have seen both the Polaris and Can Am promotional videos...I would much rather see an unbiased competition in person. I'm sure there will be quite a few stock rigs out there, but mine probably won't be quite so stock by the first race ;).

#6 ·
I just got an answer from the park owners to a question that one of the guys on RZR forums asked, so I figured I will post it here in case anybody was wondering.

As far as a passenger/navigator is concerned, it is not necessary...up to the driver. And for the "winch rule" (the rules state you need a winch), that isn't needed in the side x side class, but it isn't a bad thing to have.

Come on guys, I know there is at least one Commander owner around here that is willing to stand up to prove what their machine has! :D Or are you all afraid to get beat by a bunch of little RZR's?!?! :p

#10 ·
Yes Langford there is at least one here in Michigan......I'm only just 20 miles outside of Lansing.:happy2: The only thing is I don't even have the 10 hr service done on it yet, I want to make sure it's all good before I go tearing it up.:commander: can you tell I'm getting old.:wacko: I can't believe I even thought that let alone wrote it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.