Extending the wheelbase???

This is a discussion on Extending the wheelbase??? within the Commander Suspension Modifications forums, part of the Can-Am Commander Technical Discussion category; Has anyone looked at extending the wheel base, but not making it any wider? It would help on hill climbs, ride better over bumps and ...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander Technical Discussion > Commander Suspension Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #1

Member #1181
View Rowdy's Photo Gallery()
Extending the wheelbase???

Has anyone looked at extending the wheel base, but not making it any wider? It would help on hill climbs, ride better over bumps and whoops. I know CATVOS is making lift kits that stretch it 4" all in the rear without moving the rear differential, but I don't want a 6" lift kit.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

Member #1181
Many people have looked at this and not one person has posted???? Would anyone else want to see a vendor make something like this?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #3

Member #686
View Flyingbryan's Photo Gallery()
I am happy with the stock wheel base for the clearance. If you start extending the wheel base and not getting it lifted at the same time you will drag the center on a lot of stuff. I would think that is why all the focus is on lift kits when you talk about longer wheel base. But I am sure you are right it would ride better over whoops and some other stuff, keep in mind 2" spacers make the ride so much more stable I would not even what to think of lifting it without getting a wider stance. As far as hill climbs I am happy with the wheel base. I went up one rock hill last weekend that was very steep and never got any feeling of front end getting so light that I would have wanted a longer wheel base (sorry no video).
If the Commander were 50" wide then you might see someone going only for the longer wheel base to keep in the trails.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #4

Member #502
View Ignore Amos's Photo Gallery()
I am going to extend my wheelbase when I convert it into a racer by moving the diff back 4-5 inches and extending the drive shaft...

Work should start in the next few weeks...
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #5

Member #1181
Flying, We ride with two RZR 4 (26" longer wheelbase)that don't have any problem with high centering on the rock crawling and trail riding (we ride 3-5 star rated Jeep trails) that we do, so 4" more will not hurt the Commander at all. We have 2" Spacers all the way around for side stability, but that has nothing to do with the wheel base.

Amos, please do a write up of your build, sounds like you have been working on this. I look forward to this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander Technical Discussion > Commander Suspension Modifications

Search tags for this page

can am wheel base

atv wheelbase extension
can am commander extended wheelbase
can-am commander lengthen wheelbase
can am commander extend wheelbase
extend the wheelbase on atv
extending a wheelbase
can am commander wheelbase
stretching the can am commander wheelbase
stretching commander wheelbase
who stretches the wheelbase on can am commanders
can am commander extend wheel base
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.