Factory tie rod end bolt loosening

This is a discussion on Factory tie rod end bolt loosening within the Commander Suspension Modifications forums, part of the Can-Am Commander Technical Discussion category; On my 2012 1000x the tie rod end bolts kept loosening. Finally one broke causing the cv boot to rip. I lost all steering while ...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander Technical Discussion > Commander Suspension Modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Member #6193
View Bobbybo's Photo Gallery()
Factory tie rod end bolt loosening

On my 2012 1000x the tie rod end bolts kept loosening. Finally one broke causing the cv boot to rip. I lost all steering while moving pretty fast.
Has anyone else had this problem? BRP declined repair based on what they said is "something they have never seen". I will be replacing the cv joint and tie rods with aftermarket and would appreciate a recommendation on which is best product. I also want to go after BRP and the worthless aftermarket service contract I was sold from Freedom Powersports in Cumming GA.
Bobbybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #2

Member #646
View 56Nomad's Photo Gallery()
Which end of your tie rod comes loose? How about some photos?

Unless there are some other facts...... like abuse, your claim seems valid and I wouldn't take no for an answer.

Last edited by 56Nomad; 12-09-2012 at 06:39 PM.
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

Member #5538
View Grandmaster's Photo Gallery()
My 2012 tierod bolt came loose outer right hand side noticed machine steering funny and caught it.dealer replaced bolt on warranty
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

Member #6193
Quote: Originally Posted by 56Nomad View Post
Which end of your tie rod comes loose? How about some photos?

Unless there are some other facts...... like abuse, your claim seems valid and I wouldn't take no for an answer.

The tie rod end bolt is loosening. The bolt finally broke while i was riding the trails at Brimstone. I never found the bolt so there's nothing to take a picture of.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

Member #6193
Quote: Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
My 2012 tierod bolt came loose outer right hand side noticed machine steering funny and caught it.dealer replaced bolt on warranty
Your situation could be very helpful to me and my claim. Could you give me some information like a claim number and dealer etc. ?
Just to remind everyone, the bolts continue to back off on both sides and will eventually break because the knuckle and tie rod act as a sissor when loose so a good bump in the road will shear the bolt in two. I am going aftermarket but want BRP to acknowledge and take responsibility and pay for or at least supplement the cost of making my vehicle safe. Knowing that I will lose steering at any given moment because of an inferior design defect takes the enjoyment out of the product.
Please, anyone else with similar situation let me know. This could become a recall.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

Member #2464
View Mud Yapster's Photo Gallery()
One day I noticed one of my bolts was slightly loose so I removed it for inspection and reinstalled with loctite thread lock and haven't had anymore problems. I also had a spindle brake on me and that could have been real bad if I was at speed but luckily I ws only going 1 or 2 mph turning around when it broke. A Scary thought to me still to this day that if it had broke at speed I think I'd be 6 feet under!!!

Mud Mafia
You hit this we hit you!!!!
Mud Yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

Member #5687
View acefire's Photo Gallery()
I just tightened the left side outer bolt last night. Mine has aftermarket Heim joints and uses the same size bolt with a nylon lock nut and was loose enough that it would move about 1/2" in both directions. One thing I noticed when installing them is that the hole in the spindle fills to be about 2mm's bigger in size so with that much clearance I don't think that there is any way that it could stay tight . Going to check the hole size to night and see what can be done with the joint and bolt size to take up the slack. If the bolt has room to move is will rotate and loosen. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
acefire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #8

Member #3811
View skully's Photo Gallery()
Bobbybo, I have broken 3 passenger side tie rod bolts. The first and last one I was at wind rock. The middle one I was letting a friend use my machine for deer hunting and it came out on him. I have been super lucky and never broken any axles yet. The solution I found was a 3.5" long 3/8" bolt with double nuts. I also use red loctite on them now. If this setup doesn't work I will let you know..... Oh, and all my bolts and washers are grade 8.
skully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
LBR

Member #234
View LBR's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by Bobbybo View Post
Please, anyone else with similar situation let me know. This could become a recall.
Exact same thing happen to someone else here last year....you could easily search out that thread for reference.....kind of a common issue

sent by a twin turboed RAZR
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #10

Member #5098
View uprightshark's Photo Gallery()
Just ordered a Tie Rod upgrade from Turnkey UTV:

http://www.turnkeyutv.com/turnkey-pa...category_id=39

Comes with everything you need, including the tool to remove your OEM rods and you'll never have to worry about them ever again.

When you pay this kind of money for a machine, you shouldn't have to worry about stupid things like this, but there it is. Oh and guess what, BRP doesn't sell a tie rod replacement, even if you wanted to buy it. You have to buy the rack! Almost $600 + tax and installation and you still have a piece of crap tie rod.

My Ride: White 2013 Commander Limited
Dalton Clutch Kit, Maverick Belt, ITP Blackwater Evolution, BRP full skids, rock sliders, Light protectors,tanneau cover, mirror, Turnkey Tierods, GoPro 3+ with Axia mount and a smile!

Retired
2012 Outlander 1000XT
2010 Yamaha Grizzley 700
2009 Yamaha Grizzley 550
2007 Yamaha Kodiac 450
1992 Honda Four-Trax 300

Last edited by uprightshark; 01-22-2013 at 06:21 AM.
uprightshark is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander Technical Discussion > Commander Suspension Modifications

Search tags for this page

can am commander tie rod ends

can am commander tie rod end

can am commander btoken tie rod bolt

can am commander tie rods

can am commander tierod ends

canam commander broken tie rod bolt

what size can am commander tie rod hol

can am commander tie rod end bolt replacement size
problems with can am commander tie rod ends breaking
can am maverick steering rack loosening
inner tierod loose on 2013 commander
tie rod bolt loose by knuckle on commander
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.