Defrost windshields

This is a discussion on Defrost windshields within the Commander General Discussion forums, part of the Can-Am Commander General Discussion category; Looks great Yotehunter. Fill us in how well it works...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: bc
Member #5886
Posts: 197
View prconnection's Photo Gallery()
Looks great Yotehunter. Fill us in how well it works
prconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
arcticmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cap-Pelé, New Brunswick
Member #4983
Posts: 676
View arcticmonster's Photo Gallery()
I do know how well these work. I wonder where in the commander one can install these. I never really looked too closely where it could fit.

Quote: Originally Posted by yotehunter View Post
Defrosters.





arcticmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: WI.
Member #5647
Posts: 722
View smoker62's Photo Gallery()
Looks like a shin banger . Could just be the angle though.
__________________
2012 Commander X 1000, Dragonfire 3/4 exhaust, Yoshimura PIM2 Fuel Controller, UTV Inc Roof, Kolpin Windshield, Viper Widespool Elite , DZ-STI 2" wheel spacers, DZ Sport Mode Low,DZ Fan Overide, BRP Plow,Rear View Mirror, Side view Mirrors , Tusk Rear Window,Amsoil , Rice Stealth 76"x 12' Trailer.
smoker62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
duckcmmndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arkansas
Member #1900
Posts: 154
View duckcmmndr's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by smoker62 View Post
Looks like a shin banger . Could just be the angle though.
That's on a RZR....tons more room in a commander. IMO....this is the only way to go. No worry about drain on your charging system and will produce way more heat.

Here are some pics I found.

Main unit mounted on the passenger side up behind/beside the glove box.






__________________
2013 1000XT CAMO
BRP 1 Piece Roof
Kolpin Full Tilting Front Windshild
Kolpin Rear Windshild
Factory UTV UHMW A Arm Guards
QuadGear Double Gun Case
Custom Rear View Mirror
Custom Rubber Bed Mat
Custom Multi-Hookup Receiver Hitch
2" LED Reverse Lights
BRP Lock for storage box
BRP 12v outlet for bed
Street Legal
Clarion XMD3 Marine Stereo
Audiopipe APMR-1504 Amp
Polk Audio 1040 10" Sub
SSV Works Sub-Enclosure
Polk Audio DB 691 6x9's
Odyssey PC925 2nd Battery
Blue Sea Systems 7610 ACR
duckcmmndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Janesville, WI
Member #4882
Posts: 109
View mrpositraction's Photo Gallery()
Well these might be better options if they can move more air! I had frost this morning and the bike was loaded up for the trip today. I started it on the trailer and with the split windshield I couldn't thaw the top windshield with my position, only the bottom windshield.

And that took some time as well! Probably 10 mins to thaw the bottom windshield. I may look into this other option.

EDIT: Also, with the split windshield we don't get the heat transfer from the lower windshield where both my attempt and the heater boxes depicted will blow the heat. Might just have to take it off and then put it on in the morning.
__________________
2012 Commander X
Can Am front and rear bumpers
Koplin split full windshield, LTD stereo w/ marine antenna, Roof, Viper Max 3500 winch, Rear-view mirror, Tusk UTV soft rear window, GTMat

Last edited by mrpositraction; 11-02-2012 at 09:53 AM.
mrpositraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
arcticmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cap-Pelé, New Brunswick
Member #4983
Posts: 676
View arcticmonster's Photo Gallery()
This is the one i'm currently looking at

Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters SUM-991102-1 - SummitRacing.com
arcticmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Janesville, WI
Member #4882
Posts: 109
View mrpositraction's Photo Gallery()
Please excuse me, this is shot with my cheap phone (aka a potato)


After 10 min

__________________
2012 Commander X
Can Am front and rear bumpers
Koplin split full windshield, LTD stereo w/ marine antenna, Roof, Viper Max 3500 winch, Rear-view mirror, Tusk UTV soft rear window, GTMat
mrpositraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: bc
Member #5886
Posts: 197
View prconnection's Photo Gallery()
When we are out moose hunting the bikes stay out all night also and sometimes wake up to heavy frost or even snow. I found the best solution for a quick get up and go has be to cut yourself a small tarp cut the the size of the windshield. Use small bunggies to hold it on over night. In the morning we fire up the bike turn on the heat and remove the tarp. No frost , condensation or snow. Ready to role in 5 min. Just a thought for those early morning rides. But that heater shown tied to the bike cooling system is certainly the best way to get additional heat. JMO

Dan
Quote: Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post
Well these might be better options if they can move more air! I had frost this morning and the bike was loaded up for the trip today. I started it on the trailer and with the split windshield I couldn't thaw the top windshield with my position, only the bottom windshield.

And that took some time as well! Probably 10 mins to thaw the bottom windshield. I may look into this other option.

EDIT: Also, with the split windshield we don't get the heat transfer from the lower windshield where both my attempt and the heater boxes depicted will blow the heat. Might just have to take it off and then put it on in the morning.
prconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Janesville, WI
Member #4882
Posts: 109
View mrpositraction's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by prconnection View Post
When we are out moose hunting the bikes stay out all night also and sometimes wake up to heavy frost or even snow. I found the best solution for a quick get up and go has be to cut yourself a small tarp cut the the size of the windshield. Use small bunggies to hold it on over night. In the morning we fire up the bike turn on the heat and remove the tarp. No frost , condensation or snow. Ready to role in 5 min. Just a thought for those early morning rides. But that heater shown tied to the bike cooling system is certainly the best way to get additional heat. JMO

Dan
Quote: Originally Posted by mrpositraction View Post
Well these might be better options if they can move more air! I had frost this morning and the bike was loaded up for the trip today. I started it on the trailer and with the split windshield I couldn't thaw the top windshield with my position, only the bottom windshield.

And that took some time as well! Probably 10 mins to thaw the bottom windshield. I may look into this other option.

EDIT: Also, with the split windshield we don't get the heat transfer from the lower windshield where both my attempt and the heater boxes depicted will blow the heat. Might just have to take it off and then put it on in the morning.
The tarp is a good idea, will probably implement it this hunting season. I am contemplating ripping these off before I head out today. The are really useless IMO

EDIT: 4 hours of wiring, $50 in supplies for a trial. "If we chalk up our failures as experiments, we can view them as successes"
__________________
2012 Commander X
Can Am front and rear bumpers
Koplin split full windshield, LTD stereo w/ marine antenna, Roof, Viper Max 3500 winch, Rear-view mirror, Tusk UTV soft rear window, GTMat
mrpositraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Janesville, WI
Member #4882
Posts: 109
View mrpositraction's Photo Gallery()
Insult to injury:




10 minutes after I shut the bike off, from the heat of the bike itself LOL
__________________
2012 Commander X
Can Am front and rear bumpers
Koplin split full windshield, LTD stereo w/ marine antenna, Roof, Viper Max 3500 winch, Rear-view mirror, Tusk UTV soft rear window, GTMat
mrpositraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion


Search tags for this page

12 volt windshield defroster

,

utv defroster

,

12 volt marine in dash defroster

,
12 volt boat window defrosters
,
custom defrosting windshields
,
12 boat windshield defroster
,
boat windshield defroster
,
atv window defrosters
,
marine windshield defrosters
,
marine window defrosters
,
utv heater and defroster can am
,
where do you mount heater in arctic cat wildcat
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commander Windshields campermac Commander 1000 53 09-10-2012 09:33 AM
New Windshields !! Gregg C Commander General Discussion 21 07-26-2012 10:04 AM
Windshields? TexasCommanderX Commander General Discussion 27 11-13-2011 04:47 PM
Cab Heater with Defrost 800REV Commander General Discussion 3 09-14-2011 03:24 PM
Commander Hardcoat windshields in stock Extreme Metal Products Commander General Discussion 0 11-09-2010 04:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.