The key to the maverick

This is a discussion on The key to the maverick within the Commander General Discussion forums, part of the Can-Am Commander General Discussion category; The BRP guys did to the rotax what each of you can do to your commander's rotax. They modified the intake system to flow more ...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Member #2466
View USAGUY's Photo Gallery()
The key to the maverick

The BRP guys did to the rotax what each of you can do to your commander's rotax. They modified the intake system to flow more air and then they modified the head with a new high flow head to use the increase air/fuel. They didn't even bother to modified the TB or add a dual TB setup like other UTVs. The thing is that when they sale the head from maverick will it work without any enhancements on the commander? Personally I would have my head improved by an engine buider cause you can go even bigger valves and better head flow. The higher compression piston (12:1) can be added to your commander just like they added to the Maverick. My engine builder added 11:5 pistons on my commander. This was a huge Torque improvement over the stock 10:1 pistons in the commander. The larger TB I had made definitely adds more mid and top end over the stock 54 TB with this setup.

BTW you will need the same improvements to the intake as the Maverick if you want the head to work. I bet those parts can be added and fitted on the commander as well or you could use a weller style intake and replace the elbow that goes into the head with the Maverick's elbow (I had one made back in May for my commander to remove the intake restriction).
USAGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #2

Member #453
View KRIS's Photo Gallery()
What did they do to get past the ECM pulling timing with increased air flow? That's the problem we are seeing. We have a problem of them throwing limp home mode due to the map sensor.

I wonder what the maverick is gonna do when we start throwing our clutches at them. Cause as far as I know they still use the same clutches right?
KRIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Member #1858
View sgm4life's Photo Gallery()
Awesome info man! I will be going to do my motor once I get the suspension all dialed in over the next few months. Pm me your number please so I can get info on motor work. Thanks
sgm4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #312
View Xelvic's Photo Gallery()
I don't know if you guys caught this or not, but the Maverick is coming with catalytic converters!! I know in the motorcycle world that if you get rid of them they add HP on the top end and reduce a lot of heat. Sooooo I'm thinking that if you put a full aftermarket exhaust on the Maverick you will probably pull another 5 to 10 HP alone from removing the cats. Time will tell on that though.
Xelvic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #5

Member #2466
View USAGUY's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by KRIS View Post
What did they do to get past the ECM pulling timing with increased air flow? That's the problem we are seeing. We have a problem of them throwing limp home mode due to the map sensor.

I wonder what the maverick is gonna do when we start throwing our clutches at them. Cause as far as I know they still use the same clutches right?
I improved my car's air flow a while ago and never had any timing issues with those mods...Then again I'm using air fuel controller that allows me to set my timing as I see fit. I did at first have limp mode code issues when the TB mods were done incorrectly. Once I found a guy who know exactly how to build a 60 mm TB I never had any more limp mode issues. The same guy is doing my BMW TB mod to match the motor mods on the car.
USAGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #6

Member #1197
View ///AIRDAM's Photo Gallery()
a bosch style open/closed loop system, with oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

you guys know what that means??? a MAP ECU2 / FAST / AEM / MOTEC / something will be able to tune it like we tune cars and trucks for performance. there may be hacks like LS1edit or something like that that may let us in the back door of the new ECU and allow all sorts of cool stuff. we'll have to wait and see,

kris the maverick has a new primary clutch in it. i am unsure of what it different, but they claim its completely different and a larger diameter than the commander primary. we shall see soon hopefully.

with this thing opened up, and fully dialed in, i dont see why a full set of super race heads from the BOM and some wicked tuning cant get that motor to 120+hp
///AIRDAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:52 AM   #7

Member #2589
View Jrcmlc's Photo Gallery()
Awesome, I'm gonna throw my HPTuners on my maverick as soon as I get it home. :-)

JC
Jrcmlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #8

Member #430
View ChrisRowe's Photo Gallery()
So this is going to be a totally different EFI set up? I was thinking if they used the same set up that is on the Commander we could just use the Maverick tune after we figure out what exactly they have done to get the extra HP. That way we wouldnt have to worry about tuning them.
ChrisRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #9

Member #453
View KRIS's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by ///AIRDAM View Post
a bosch style open/closed loop system, with oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

you guys know what that means??? a MAP ECU2 / FAST / AEM / MOTEC / something will be able to tune it like we tune cars and trucks for performance. there may be hacks like LS1edit or something like that that may let us in the back door of the new ECU and allow all sorts of cool stuff. we'll have to wait and see,

kris the maverick has a new primary clutch in it. i am unsure of what it different, but they claim its completely different and a larger diameter than the commander primary. we shall see soon hopefully.

with this thing opened up, and fully dialed in, i dont see why a full set of super race heads from the BOM and some wicked tuning cant get that motor to 120+hp
Man oh man.... This is gonna be FUN!
KRIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #10

Member #1515
View 4weeler's Photo Gallery()
They added o2 sensors & catalytic converters because of California emissions.I talked to the rep at the SS ,I asked about the clutch ,he said they didnt do anything to clutch ,they just came out with anew better,stronger belt.They added another exhaust to the cvt cover (I did that a while back already) .Where the intake goes into the heads ,they now have 2 pipes coming out of plenum instead of the one that bolts to the top where they split.The heads have 4 valves each,we have 2. I like that they relocated the battery.It now sits under the bed,middle behind seats.They put a shrould both side inside wheel wells "that ought to keep junk out of you fans".Still has cheap roll cage.But they did have some accessories to add to the cage that I thought were really cool.All in all I liked it.

P.S Yes ,theres a spot for your cooler Mud Yapper
KMS Fast Turbo/W Water to Air Intercooler
Bored TB
K&N Air filter
Hid Lights
Vision X light bar
K&T black box
Brakes on all 4 corners
STM Primary & Secondary
QE diff
Wicked Built power steering
Rugged radio & intercom
4weeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Search tags for this page

can am maverick problems

problems with can am maverick
can am maverick clutch problems
cat delete for can am maverick
can am maverick cat delete
can am maverick clutch fits can am commander
can ammaverick clutch temprature
commander vs maverick steering gear box
will a clutch from a maverick fit a commander
can am maveric pulling
maverick clutch issues
comon problems with canam mavericks
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.