Making your utv street legal

This is a discussion on Making your utv street legal within the Commander General Discussion forums, part of the Can-Am Commander General Discussion category; Hi everybody im in kansas and kansas will not let you make a utv sreet legal so here is what i did to get mine ...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Banned

Member #685
View BREAKINWIND's Photo Gallery()
Making your utv street legal

Hi everybody im in kansas and kansas will not let you make a utv sreet legal so here is what i did to get mine steet legal. I found a guy in south dakota that registers rvs after talking to the south dakota tag department in hanson county. Wich they gave me his #. I sent him all my paperwork and casier checks so he gould get me a onroad title and tag (soutdakota atv are sreet legal) he then sent me back a tag and registration and will send me the title in 3 weeks when southdakota sends it to him. Now that my utv has a onroad title its federal law that no state can denie you when you reregister it in you home state.i have a friend here where i live and he is head of the higway patrol here in kansas. I told him what i had done and he wasent real happy that i figured out the loopholes. He also told me what i had done was 100% correct and legal :d
BREAKINWIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Banned

Member #685
The whole process took 1 week and cost me 835.00 THAT WAS JUST FOR PAPER WORK TAG AND SALES TAX
KANSAS REQUIREMENTS FOR STREET LEGAL
1- DOT TIRES
2- TURN SIGNALS OR HAND SIGNALS
3- HIGH / LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS
4- MIRRORS THIS MEANING 1 SIDE VIEW ONLY
5- BREAK LIGHTS
6- IF YOU HAVE A WINDSHIELD YOU MUST HAVE A WIND SHIELD WIPER IF YOU DONT THEN EYE PROTECTION

Last edited by BREAKINWIND; 10-27-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Member #710
View Kyle_so126's Photo Gallery()
Breakinwind I'm sending you a pm with some questions if you don't mind
Kyle_so126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Banned

Member #685
Quote: Originally Posted by kyle_so126 View Post
breakinwind i'm sending you a pm with some questions if you don't mind
not at all i will try to help
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #5

Member #775
View Jacomo's Photo Gallery()
A Few More Details

$900 is well worth getting the Commander street legal. Sounds like you get a Title from SD then go to the tag office (home state) with your out of state title, safety inspection and apply for a new title and tag in your home state (Missouri).

You have done this in Kansas, $900 is enough that I don't want to make bad assumptions.

Did you talk with anyone (HP) before doing this, can you give the contact information for the person in SD. Thanks for the post, it gives me some hope of making this happen, several other threads on this forum about the same thing.
Jacomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Banned

Member #685
Quote: Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
$900 is well worth getting the commander street legal. Sounds like you get a title from sd then go to the tag office (home state) with your out of state title, safety inspection and apply for a new title and tag in your home state (missouri).

You have done this in kansas, $900 is enough that i don't want to make bad assumptions.

Did you talk with anyone (hp) before doing this, can you give the contact information for the person in sd. Thanks for the post, it gives me some hope of making this happen, several other threads on this forum about the same thing.
i done all of my home work before i sent any money and yes i will help you any way i can just got off of the phone with another guy in ohio that was asking me questions my phone # is 620-662 3355
Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #7

Member #854
View orangecrush's Photo Gallery()
I don't want to flood your phone so if you could give me a time to call, I'd like to talk to you. I've been looking into this to get it done.

Let me know when I can call.

Thanks,

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #8

Member #686
View Flyingbryan's Photo Gallery()
Wow great leg work, thank you so much for sharing that info. I am in California and I would like to do the same thing, not so much to drive on the road but to get from trail to trail in some of the areas I ride.

Last edited by Flyingbryan; 11-01-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Flyingbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #9

Member #686
View Flyingbryan's Photo Gallery()
So does anyone know if any states around California will give UTV's a licence? Or if it would possible to get the transfer to California due to smog requirements.
Flyingbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #10

Member #502
View Ignore Amos's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by Flyingbryan View Post
So does anyone know if any states around California will give UTV's a licence? Or if it would possible to get the transfer to California due to smog requirements.
Arizona is super easy... Quads running all over the place with plates...

needs to have a headlight, taillight, horn, mirror and lighted plate for a standard plate. They dont even inspect the vehicle...but it your responsibility to make sure its legal if your pulled over.
Ignore Amos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Search tags for this page

street legal utv

can am commander street legal
utv street legal states
utv street legal
street legal can am commander
are utvs street legal
road legal utv
can you drive a utv on the road
can a utv be street legal
can you make a utv street legal
how to make a utv street legal
utv road legal
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.