Trails in Michigan

This is a discussion on Trails in Michigan within the Commander General Discussion forums, part of the Can-Am Commander General Discussion category; Found this State WEB site that list MANY trails in Michigan. DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps You have to double check when the PDF opens ...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #1

Member #2935
View Brownie's Photo Gallery()
Trails in Michigan

Found this State WEB site that list MANY trails in Michigan.

DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps

You have to double check when the PDF opens (at the bottom) it tells you if it is good for "motorcycles only", ATV LESS than 50" wide (not Commander) or for larger ATV's (Commander). (kinda sucks cause you have to download ALL of them to see if it qualifies as a Commander trail).

They download ~ full page size, I just kept it small for network traffic.

I have downloaded the Commander trails A-M and have 30 trails to ride so far. EXAMPLE:
Attached Thumbnails
Trails in Michigan-18a_kalkaska-trail-north-small-.jpg  
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #2

Member #1958
View 800REV's Photo Gallery()
There really is not to many trails the commander can use. That area you posted is one of the few spots, and it's not a loop. The best thing anyone in Michigan can do, is street legal your ride. Then, all the dirt roads are your trails.

Wicked Built Unisteer Power Steering
K&T Black Box
2" Wheel Spacers
Turn Signal Kit
Multi Mount
Insulated Tunnel & Clutch Cover
Header Wrapped Exhaust
VVME HID'S 35W-55W
BOSS Power V XT Plow 6.6 or 78"
Mammoth Soft Top
Drift HD170 Helment Camera
Custom Made Fold Down Windshield
800REV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #3

Member #1677
View diesel4dad's Photo Gallery()
diesel4dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #4

Member #2914
View kl680's Photo Gallery()
michigan trails

We went by baldwin and did about 120 miles on various loops because you can ride from one to the other, just watch your speed (35 mph). We went up the weekend of May 18 & 19 and had a blast, it was dusty but was well worth the trip.
kl680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

Member #5366
View thughunter1961's Photo Gallery()
You might want to check your local laws, before trying to street legal your commander, in Michigan. Many counties do not allow them on the roads no matter what modifications you make. In St. Joseph county you will likely get a big fat fine and your ride impounded.
thughunter1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

Member #2935
View Brownie's Photo Gallery()
Interesting! I have street legal - Police inspected, Michigan Secretary of State approved, Secretary of State issued new VIN as Assembled pickup and I have a Michigan license plate.
State Police and Secretary of State said that EVERY State must honor it as a CAR/PICKUP and treat it as a regulare vehicle. FEDERAL LAW!

I am going to write St. Joseph's Sheriff, City Police and if they agree with you I will come crusing your neck of the woods just to challenge them!

Thanks for the info.

P.S. I found over 30 trails on the Michigan DNR site that state they are approved for greater than 50" wide ATV's and still counting.
Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #7

Member #5366
View thughunter1961's Photo Gallery()
I called the Michigan SOS and MSP. They both said in order for on to be street legal it has to conform to all DOT and Federal standards for a road vehicle for the model year it was built. In other words not only lights, mirrors, and horns, but also air bags, bumpers etc. The head ORV guru at MSP said that if someone was able to get one plated as a truck or passenger car, someone in the process was asleep at the switch. I have heard of some unknowledgable people at the SOS giving out Moped licenses to vehicles that did not qualify as a moped. Such as one of those pocket rockets. However, the problem is quickly corrected with a traffic ticket from some cop that knows the law.
thughunter1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

Member #1677
They are not plated as passenger cars or trucks.They are plated as assembled vehicles like dune buggys and kit cars and the only things they are required to have are all the items on the green sheet or TR 54 FORM paper work.That is there rules the state of mich made not some sherriff or local cop that gets to interpret the laws to suit his beliefs. I have ridden street legal SXS accross mackinac bridge past state and local cops and always a get thumbs up from them.

Last edited by diesel4dad; 06-27-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

Member #1677
Quote: Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Interesting! I have street legal - Police inspected, Michigan Secretary of State approved, Secretary of State issued new VIN as Assembled pickup and I have a Michigan license plate.
State Police and Secretary of State said that EVERY State must honor it as a CAR/PICKUP and treat it as a regulare vehicle. FEDERAL LAW!

I am going to write St. Joseph's Sheriff, City Police and if they agree with you I will come crusing your neck of the woods just to challenge them!

Thanks for the info.

P.S. I found over 30 trails on the Michigan DNR site that state they are approved for greater than 50" wide ATV's and still counting.
Me to we should have a SXS parade there just to test the laws.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #10

Member #1958
View 800REV's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by thughunter1961 View Post
You might want to check your local laws, before trying to street legal your commander, in Michigan. Many counties do not allow them on the roads no matter what modifications you make. In St. Joseph county you will likely get a big fat fine and your ride impounded.
I think you should read this. Street Legal Can-Am Kit Once plated, you can go in any damn county you want.

Wicked Built Unisteer Power Steering
K&T Black Box
2" Wheel Spacers
Turn Signal Kit
Multi Mount
Insulated Tunnel & Clutch Cover
Header Wrapped Exhaust
VVME HID'S 35W-55W
BOSS Power V XT Plow 6.6 or 78"
Mammoth Soft Top
Drift HD170 Helment Camera
Custom Made Fold Down Windshield
800REV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Search tags for this page

utv trails in michigan

michigan utv laws

utv riding in michigan

best utv trails in mi

michigan utv trails

utv trails michigan
michigan utv rules
utv laws in michigan
street legal utv michigan
baldwin trails in michigan for utv
utv on michigan trails
michigan atv utv laws
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.