Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Trails in Michigan

12K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Junts 
#1 ·
Found this State WEB site that list MANY trails in Michigan.

DNR - ORV/ATV Trail Maps

You have to double check when the PDF opens (at the bottom) it tells you if it is good for "motorcycles only", ATV LESS than 50" wide (not Commander) or for larger ATV's (Commander). (kinda sucks cause you have to download ALL of them to see if it qualifies as a Commander trail).

They download ~ full page size, I just kept it small for network traffic.

I have downloaded the Commander trails A-M and have 30 trails to ride so far. EXAMPLE:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There really is not to many trails the commander can use. That area you posted is one of the few spots, and it's not a loop. The best thing anyone in Michigan can do, is street legal your ride. Then, all the dirt roads are your trails.

#10 ·
#6 ·
Interesting! I have street legal - Police inspected, Michigan Secretary of State approved, Secretary of State issued new VIN as Assembled pickup and I have a Michigan license plate.
State Police and Secretary of State said that EVERY State must honor it as a CAR/PICKUP and treat it as a regulare vehicle. FEDERAL LAW!

I am going to write St. Joseph's Sheriff, City Police and if they agree with you I will come crusing your neck of the woods just to challenge them!

Thanks for the info.

P.S. I found over 30 trails on the Michigan DNR site that state they are approved for greater than 50" wide ATV's and still counting.

#9 ·
Interesting! I have street legal - Police inspected, Michigan Secretary of State approved, Secretary of State issued new VIN as Assembled pickup and I have a Michigan license plate.
State Police and Secretary of State said that EVERY State must honor it as a CAR/PICKUP and treat it as a regulare vehicle. FEDERAL LAW!

I am going to write St. Joseph's Sheriff, City Police and if they agree with you I will come crusing your neck of the woods just to challenge them!

Thanks for the info.

P.S. I found over 30 trails on the Michigan DNR site that state they are approved for greater than 50" wide ATV's and still counting.
Me to we should have a SXS parade there just to test the laws.

#7 ·
I called the Michigan SOS and MSP. They both said in order for on to be street legal it has to conform to all DOT and Federal standards for a road vehicle for the model year it was built. In other words not only lights, mirrors, and horns, but also air bags, bumpers etc. The head ORV guru at MSP said that if someone was able to get one plated as a truck or passenger car, someone in the process was asleep at the switch. I have heard of some unknowledgable people at the SOS giving out Moped licenses to vehicles that did not qualify as a moped. Such as one of those pocket rockets. However, the problem is quickly corrected with a traffic ticket from some cop that knows the law.

#8 · (Edited)
They are not plated as passenger cars or trucks.They are plated as assembled vehicles like dune buggys and kit cars and the only things they are required to have are all the items on the green sheet or TR 54 FORM paper work.That is there rules the state of mich made not some sherriff or local cop that gets to interpret the laws to suit his beliefs. I have ridden street legal SXS accross mackinac bridge past state and local cops and always a get thumbs up from them.

#11 ·
Problem is a local jurisdiction can pass a more restrictive local ordinance. I think I will just trailer mine rather than test the resolve of the local law enforcement. Besides Baldwin is 3 hours away. Don't think I will be making that trip in a sxs any time soon. I don't really have a reason to drive it on the road. The decent trails are either in my back yard or miles away.

#14 · (Edited)
Problem is a local jurisdiction can pass a more restrictive local ordinance. I think I will just trailer mine rather than test the resolve of the local law enforcement. Besides Baldwin is 3 hours away. Don't think I will be making that trip in a sxs any time soon. I don't really have a reason to drive it on the road. The decent trails are either in my back yard or miles away.
I dont think local jurisdiction can over rule state law. The State allowed counties to make the decision whether to allow you to ride down the side of the road at 25 mph. Without these county variances you really only have a few places to ride legally. I think the farther north you go, the more lenient law enforcement is, or at least in non populated areas. Some of the areas I ride, you can not get there unless your street legal.
You almost have to ride with someone thats street legal to appreciate the freedom you have, to go almost anywhere you want. I have never been pulled over yet. A lot of rubber necking from law enforcement in my city, but they are use to it now.

You can probably cut my cost making mine street legal in half. Depends on the deputy that does the inspection. My deputy said I didn't need DOT tires unless I was on the Interstate Highway. He didn't check for emergency brake or windshield washer system. That was around $650-$700 I could of saved. The worst part (besides dealing with SOS) was my title getting changed to Assembled Utility. Still worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Damn you Brownie! See what you started.:) :funnycanam:

#15 · (Edited)
Just read the link from above on making commander street legal. Seems like a lot of money and hassle. I'll put that money into the Jeep instead. Btw, been to Baldwin a few times, nice trails but wish I had power steering. Silver Lake is my next stop.
I just checked out the Baldwin area. That's the most truck trails I have seen in one area. Looks like one of them is shutdown temporarily. I usually head north, but I might have to head west and check them out.

#16 ·
I agree with you 800Rev! Local ordinances are fine but cannot overrule existing State / Fed. ordinances. Only where nothing exist and then it's not OVERRULING.

My dealer did 90% of street legal prep and charged me $750. Only thing missing was windshield wiper and we all (including cops) ignored that.

I dipped into bank for a little extra and got 2nd set of tires and rims (good looking set). Tires are supposed to be a little harder compound and tread pattern is a little better on the pavement. cost $700

Agree - biggest hassle is Secretary of State. Just getting street legal stuff does NOT make it street legal.

I live between Grand Rapids and Lansing. Have ridden west to the other side of Grand Rapids (went downtown Grand Rapids, talk about some heads turning) and east past U.S. 27 by about 5 miles. Just love to go crusing.

#18 ·
Well, I'm in the process of street legaling mine right now. Just waiting for the SOS to send the new VIN and title. And I can't wait to make my first trip across the Big Mac. I think we should all get together and make a crossing at once. That'd be cool.

#20 ·
We should do that sometime. A street legal sxs parade.

#22 ·
Plenty of trails in Houghton, Keweenaw & Baraga counties in the U.P. of Michigan to ride with a commander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.