Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Going street legal in Michigan...Any help?

9K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  68dodgeramman 
#1 ·
Well I saw a John Deere Gator riding around our small town the other day. And if you can believe it our town actually has an ordinance against riding ATV/UTVs in the city limits. So it made me start to rethink the "street legal" thing again and I think I'm going to do it. I already picked up the form at the Secretary of State and I know I need to take it for an inspection at the Sheriff's or Police department. What I'm asking about is what and where did you guys get the accessories to make it street legal. I would really like to get a horn with some good deep sound and some nicer integrated blinkers if I can find them. Thanks for any help and diesel4dad you were right and thanks for making me see the light in a previous post, lol.

#2 ·
ive been trying for 4 months now, its easy to get it sign off as street legal, i bought everything fron ryfab windsheild to DOT tires and everything in between.. The hard part is having insurance cover you as an Assembled Pickup or roadster worth 15k. I have been getting quotes for $3100 a year, And michigan doesnt allow 4-Wheel Title to be converted to on-road unless its changed over to an Assembled Title.

I wish you luck, cause im not taking a brand new toy and making it Assembled...lol

#4 ·
Don't you think that it will be rather hard on your machine driving it around on paved roads all the time. The rear diff. is not made for it and when turning on pavement it puts alot of stress on the gears. But that's just my "2 cents".

#5 ·
#6 ·
Well I saw a John Deere Gator riding around our small town the other day. And if you can believe it our town actually has an ordinance against riding ATV/UTVs in the city limits. So it made me start to rethink the "street legal" thing again and I think I'm going to do it. I already picked up the form at the Secretary of State and I know I need to take it for an inspection at the Sheriff's or Police department. What I'm asking about is what and where did you guys get the accessories to make it street legal. I would really like to get a horn with some good deep sound and some nicer integrated blinkers if I can find them. Thanks for any help and diesel4dad you were right and thanks for making me see the light in a previous post, lol.
You are very welcome.I have learned alot after making my 3rd streetlegal UTV.Your commander will end up being registered as an assembled pickup.As far as insurance goes i have been with SAFECO ins in california.It costs about $450 a year for full coverage.Good luck be patient and let me know when its done maybe we can plan a ride together. Up north most weekends in summer.:commanderroll:

#7 ·
Try and go assembled utility. I think you will have a better deal on insurance. I only pay $240 a year full coverage for on and off road use.

#8 ·
Hey thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been real busy lately. Does anybody know where to get the Can-Am in dash switches? I saw a post from someone on here about switches that they got. They matched the stock ones and could be printed with whatever you wanted on them. Anybody know where I can get those. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.