Visco lock

This is a discussion on Visco lock within the Commander General Discussion forums, part of the Can-Am Commander General Discussion category; I just got back from a bear hunt in elk city Idaho .We had a Honda Forman ,ranger xp, can am commander and a can ...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Member #885
View Stephenmiele's Photo Gallery()
Visco lock

I just got back from a bear hunt in elk city Idaho .We had a Honda Forman ,ranger xp, can am commander and a can am commander in our group. I sold my outlander 800 xt to get a commander, but waiting to see if they change anything in 2012! After this trip I'm not so sure about the can am's 4 weel drive system. We were at the 4000 foot elevation an had snow is some spots , I can't tell you how manny times the 2 can am's had to get wenched out .I was on the Honda Forman 500 and it plowed threw everything ! The 09 can am outlander 800xt even had bigger then stock tires on it. He got stuck alot of times I seen only three wheels spinning.I thing this is why the xt's come stock with a whench ! I really don't know what to do now . The commander is a much more comfortable machine but don't want to get stuck in the back country. Is there any way to put a lockable diff on this thing
Stephenmiele is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #2

Member #2716
View johnsonc22's Photo Gallery()
this has been talked about a lot on this site. I am like you waiting to see. I joined because it was down to commander or prowler. By far the Prowler and alot of other SXS have the upper hand with a locking diff instead of visco lock, but i have watched videos online of people riding and i thought it was crazy what they were able to go through no problem. Alot of people said that you could take a diff from an outlander and put it in. They even listed the part numbers and price. Check out some of the older threads and that should help
johnsonc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

Member #2464
View Mud Yapster's Photo Gallery()
I don't have that problem here in East Texas we don't get snow that last long enough to ride in if we get any at all we are lucky to see the stuff.
Wish I could help but I have heard of a QE diff that ingages in like a 1/4 turn of the tire that guys have been using.

Mud Mafia
You hit this we hit you!!!!
Mud Yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

Member #1777
View Blownhotrodder's Photo Gallery()
I am also on the fence because of the visco lok systems problems locking up. Was hoping it would be addressed on the 2012 model but doesnt seem like they changed anything.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #5

Member #2711
View crazywes's Photo Gallery()
The bigger the tire the longer to lock up on reg visco loc. I have the visco loc QE on all three 4 wheelers works much better.Someone on one of the commander forums ordered a QE internal from dealer and in stalled it in front visco loc unit on their commander.
29.5 outlaw 2
////Airdam
650 Helix / Radar Detector

2014 MAVERICK XRS DPS
To much to list

2013 RANGER 900
8" S3 lift
TURNER dual reverse chain upgrade
Turner front diff

2011 Commander X
4"catvos lift , airdam clutch
rackzilla steering
crazywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #6

Member #1377
View akfj40's Photo Gallery()
i put my first 300 miles on mine in the snow and had no problems with it locking up. the mud seems fine to and i dont a qe front end i am however going to get the parts when funds allow
akfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #7

Member #1898
View Roddy's Photo Gallery()
I have ridden my 1000xt thru mud and snow and have had no problems with the visco lock not engaging soon enough. Seems if you keep your foot into it , and dont chicken out , all 4 will keep digging.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #8

Member #2076
View rake1's Photo Gallery()
Can someone give an explanation on how it works. I assume it stays in 2 wheel drive until you get some slippage then it cuts into 4 wheel drive on it's own. What about rocking back and forth? I hope it is not cutting in and out all the time I am stuck.
rake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #9

Member #1572
View Magellan's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
I have ridden my 1000xt thru mud and snow and have had no problems with the visco lock not engaging soon enough. Seems if you keep your foot into it , and dont chicken out , all 4 will keep digging.
Where I ride, rocks, if you drive it like that you won't have to worry about it locking because you will break a rear axle before the visco lock kicks in. I guess I am going to have to go with the QE at some point, gotta catch up with a lot of other things first.
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #10

Member #1471
View st222's Photo Gallery()
i dont understand how all these people have problems in these situations. i dont have these problems & i have riden in over 2 feet of snow, i ride in mud, rock craw ect.
im starting to beleive im just a better driver then most. i mean r you guys that r having problems beginner atvers that dont no throttle control or tire placement? that could be alot of it. lets face it we all have ridden with people that were'nt as good as others. like surtain sections that someone rode right thru & then the other guy is just a complete mess & cant. maybe just maybe your that guy!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Search tags for this page

can am visco lok problems

visco lok vs polaris

commander viscolock fix

can am commander visco lok problems

can am commander visco lok espa?ol

whats better awd or visco lock in a utv

can am visco lock

can am visco lock reviews

can am visco lock review

do all 4 tires spin on can am cammander
can am maverick visco lock fix
visco lock replacement
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.