Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Street Legal Can-Am Kit

52K views 112 replies 31 participants last post by  GINGER 
#1 · (Edited)
Michigan Street Legal Can-Am Kit

For those wanting a street legal kit, Can-Am has one in Europe. All of these part numbers below are OEM from Can-Am.

715001308 Signalling Kit $429.99 MSRP Kit contains complete flasher, horn, and illuminated license plate holder.

708200182 LH Side Mirror $89.49 MSRP
715001418 RH Side Mirror $89.99 MSRP
715000956 Center Mirror Panoramic $74.99 MSRP
715001191 Rear view Mirror Car Style $89.99 MSRP

715001177 Hard Coated Windshield $549.95 MSRP (Works in Michigan)

Better option is the Ryfab windshield with wiper. $449, It's a laminated (car glass) windshield.
Can-Am Commander Windshield- RY Fabrications Cargo Boxes

D.O.T. Tires- My deputy said I didn't need them.

Emergency Brake from UTV Inc. $129.95 UTV INC CAN AM COMMANDER 800 & 1000 CAM STYLE PARKING BRAKE KIT This will need to be modified if you have power steering. My deputy didn't even check this.

I got a wiper and washer bottle from a junkyard. Again deputy did not check for operation.

EDIT: 7-18-2011 Added signaling kit and eliminated a lot of parts because of this.
EDIT: 8-18-2011 Added Ryfab windshield info.
EDIT: 9-1-2011 Added Emergency Brake info.

9-21-2011 I am street legal now. I will save you the fights I had with the (SOS) Secretary of State in Michigan and list what you need to do.

1. You will need to go to the SOS and get forms TR-54 and TR-34

2. Contact your Sheriff department and schedule a vin check and safety inspection after you have everything installed. This is part 1 and 2 on the TR-54. They made me call 911, WTF!!

3. You will need all your receipts that you used to make it street legal. (They want to make sure you paid Michigan taxes on the accessories) I just gave them receipts from the dealer. Screw them on the out of state purchases.

4. Fill out the TR-34. In the statement area they want something like: I added accessories signaling kit, rear bumper, full windshield, center mirror, left mirror from the vehicle manufacturer. They want to know where all the parts came from, so you might have more parts to list from different sources. (I didn't list anything bought out of state)

5. You have to go to a certified scale and have your Commander weighed. (where ever you buy gravel should have a calibrated scale)

6. Take everything above to the SOS, forms,receipts,weight slip,title, and proof of insurance. They will ask you if you have a pick-up bed, say NO. You have a utility vehical. They should class you as Assembled Utility.

7. This is what sucks. Your Commander will be classified as an assembled vehicle with a new vin #. If you have a 2012 like mine, it is now a 2011 because of the year I made it street legal. Don't even try to argue about it. They are going by the book. It will take 2 to 3 months then someone will come out and install a new vin # sticker and give you your new title.

8. If everything goes okay, you will be able to purchase a 30 or 60 day temp tag. 60 day cost $50 which is more than a full year plate.

9. Enjoy your ride with a big ol cheesy smile on your face.

11-17-11 Just recieved my new vin# and plate. Took just under 2 months to receive. The title does say 2011 assembled, body style is utility. My Michigan plate cost me $40. Price was based on a weight of 1600#.

See less See more
#3 ·
I usually get 30 to 40 percent off BRP list price. What I like about this it's all plug and play and all the holes are already there from factory.

I got a quote from a dealer that does street legal kits and they wanted $1800. not including DOT tires. I know I can do a lot better than that. Thats why I'm starting this thread. By the time the 2012 comes in this list should be finished. Then everyone can use the info.

#7 · (Edited)
I looked at UTV and they are over priced. There turn signal kit is $160 and only have about $20 in parts. There horn kit is more than Can-Am. Center Mirror kit is $120, come on!!!

I can buy a turn signal lever from Can-Am that controls signals, high/low beams and horn for $123 list price, not even my price. That doesnt count the signals but is factory and looks a lot better.

I've noticed a lot of sponsers seam to charge a lot of money just because it's a sxs. Wheel spacers, I paid $60 for 2 for my diesel truck. For a sxs $120 with a lot less material. 9" heavy duty lift kit from Cognito for my diesel truck was $4000. 6" kit for a sxs $3500. Come on, total rip off. Sorry, I got started and had to vent.

#5 ·
How do you know the hard coated windshield will work in Michigan? I think the requirement is to have safety glass, not plexiglass. I would prefer to have the hard coated w/shield for street legal, but don't want to spend the money and then find out later it doesn't qualify for street legal. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

#6 ·
I talked to a dealer that does a lot of kits, and he said this is the windshield they use. They also use Can-Am street legal kit from Europe. He even told me they use the stock tires. Just dont get caught on the highway. Some officers might not allow this, but his guy does.

#8 ·
800...just curious...in all your research...have you found anything out about the open rear diff they supposedly have in Europe? Just curious about this...those of us driving on the street need to be mindful of the strain on the rear end.

#10 ·
800...just curious...in all your research...have you found anything out about the open rear diff they supposedly have in Europe? Just curious about this...those of us driving on the street need to be mindful of the strain on the rear end.
I didnt see anything. Usually if there is a difference between US and Europe, it's marked. It might still exist. Dont know for sure.

#9 ·
I still need to find a Wiper/Washer kit, prefered a dual wiper if anyone knows of a good kit.

Also need some kind off brake line lock, since the commander has no parking brake.

#18 · (Edited)
Must be nice. Here is the list in Michigan we have to go by. These are Minimum requirements.

Headlights, one on each side with high and lows
Turn signals front and rear
Tail light, at least one, if two, both need to work
License plate light
Brake lights
Safety glass, No plexiglass, sufficient size to protect driver passengers, no cracks, no obstructions, non transparent material prohibited
Outside rearview mirror on drivers side, must be adjustable, Half ton or more capacity trucks need mirror on both sides
Horn
Bright light indicator
Windshield wipers
Windshield washers
Brakes, adequate to stop and hold vehical
Parking brake
Safety belts
Bumpers, required on passenger vehicals 14 to 22 inches above the ground except 4 wheel drive
Tires, 2/32 inch tread, no exposed cord or tread seperation approved for highway use by D.O.T.
Exhaust, good working order no excessive noise, must include tailpipe and resonator
Differential gear

This is all on form TR-54

#17 ·
In Michigan a motorcycle is classified as a 2 or 3 wheel vehical.

#20 ·
You have to with all the b.s. going on in the state. We have to take a class and prove you can shoot straight. Lol

#23 ·
Here is a video that shows the Can-Am turn signals installed and also the turn signal switch.

This post has been deleted
#28 ·
Thanks Sonic, sorry I couldnt help.

#30 ·
That's what I'm waiting for. My dealer should be back Monday with a part #. The bad thing about the hardcoat windshield is, that it won't hold up using a wiper. I can get a piece of laminate (auto glass) cut cheaper than the hardcoat.

#36 ·
This is how I put in glass for my windshield.I just cut the size of windshield I wanted out of my lexan and had a piece of saftey lam cut for a $104.00 and got a piece of zipstrip gasket and installed it.Have hauled it on my pickup at 70 mph and it never came out,plus it doesn't scratch and when I get the fold up windshield done I can use the glass in it also. PS i used a 3.5 radius on the corners and I think a 4 inch or bigger would be better. Motor vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Yellow Car

#38 ·
I'm from Bay City.

There is a dealer, Town and Country Motorsports in Cement City, MI, that does street conversion kits. That should be somewhat close to you. They get the inspection passed with hardcoat windshield and the stock tires.

#39 ·
Just added signalling kit (715001308) on first page of thread and eliminated a lot of part numbers because of this.

#40 ·
I hate to bring this back up, but I'm finally street legal in Michigan. The process in Michigan is on the first post of this thread. The worst part is my 2012 is now a 2011 assembled with a new vin#. What a bunch of crap.

#46 ·
Street legal...

I hate to bring this back up, but I'm finally street legal in Michigan. The process in Michigan is on the first post of this thread. The worst part is my 2012 is now a 2011 assembled with a new vin#. What a bunch of crap.
I'm currently a Rzr owner, but am in the process of purchasing a 1000XT, with intentions of going street legal this time. I'll probably go with 6 or 36mo. financing, and I'm wondering- would a lien on the title be an issue when having it re-titled? Has anyone been thru the process that way?

#41 ·
Central Michigan (between Lansing - Grand Rapids) and I had dealer install "street legal option" ($725~). U.S. PowerSport North of St. Johns. Nothing special about the install (they left off the wiper and side mirror) but they have a GREAT relationship with local law enforcement. They took care of getting TR54 signed and was simple formality. S.O.S. has been a joy (SARCASTIC!!!!!). Almost done w/ process - 4 months - and insurance has been interesting. Five different companies and nobody came up with a ORV On Road category. Everything from slow vehicle to motorcycle to truck to personal assembled!!
Without detail (don't want to get someone interested in MINE) but several items on TR54 were skipped without mention.

#42 ·
Central Michigan (between Lansing - Grand Rapids) and I had dealer install "street legal option" ($725~). U.S. PowerSport North of St. Johns. Nothing special about the install (they left off the wiper and side mirror) but they have a GREAT relationship with local law enforcement. They took care of getting TR54 signed and was simple formality. S.O.S. has been a joy (SARCASTIC!!!!!). Almost done w/ process - 4 months - and insurance has been interesting. Five different companies and nobody came up with a ORV On Road category. Everything from slow vehicle to motorcycle to truck to personal assembled!!
Without detail (don't want to get someone interested in MINE) but several items on TR54 were skipped without mention.
My insurance stayed the same. The lady double checked with her superior and called me back the next day. $240 a year for full coverage. I guess I got lucky.

#49 ·
Beg to differ with you DIESEL4DAD but mine is financed and I got it street legal. Just have to have your finance company write letter to S.O.S. (Secretary of State) saying it is O.K. to cancel old title and generate NEW. Then send to Finance Co. and all is fine.

#51 ·
I got lucky then. I have new vin and bank just changed there paperwork to match vin and new model year. Benefits of a private Credit Union I guess.

#52 ·
My street legal journey comes to an end. They came today and installed my new vin. Title now says 2011 assembled with utility body style. Michigan plate only cost me $40 because they went by weight of vehical instead of value. It was a pain in my ass but well worth it. I hope this thread helps many of you trying to make yours legal in Michigan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.