Airdam Cvtech Clutch Review

This is a discussion on Airdam Cvtech Clutch Review within the Commander General Discussion forums, part of the Can-Am Commander General Discussion category; So I got home today, and there it was. Santa...uhhh.. I mean UPS left me a present. Within 5 minutes I was already installing it. ...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Member #312
View Xelvic's Photo Gallery()
Airdam Cvtech Clutch Review

So I got home today, and there it was. Santa...uhhh.. I mean UPS left me a present. Within 5 minutes I was already installing it. Took me about 30 minutes to put in all back together. I got the Cvtech primary and machined secondary. While I had everything apart, I decided to take the back of the CVT cover off and seal it up with some high temp silicone. I learned this on the Outlander forums. It will keep any water from coming in through the back side. Anyway, I took it out for about 20 minutes to get a feel for it.

The "take off clunk" was almost gone. It was still there, but only half as bad. Sometimes I couldn't feel it at all.

On hard throttle, the RPM's jump up almost to redline and then back down a couple of grand. I don't know if it's belt slip or not.

It seemed to take a little longer from 70 to 74 then stock, but it got to 70 faster than stock. The RPM's where about 500 less then stock at top speed. This may be why it takes a little longer between 70 and 74.

Engine breaking is as good as stock.

Much quieter than the stock clutch.

I know Adam said you could hit 50+ in low. You can't, the speed limiter stops at 40, just like stock.

Low gear seems lower, which is good for rock crawling. It will pin you back in the seat when you hammer it in low gear. Much better than stock. I can only imagine what the "gizmo" will do.

Takes off much smoother than stock.

At any speed in any gear between 0 and 50, if you hammer it, it absolutley rips. Overall I'm happy with the purchase. I can't wait for an all day ride to really check it out. I am a little worried about the over rev when you hammer it. I hope it's not belt slip, because if it is, it may cause premature belt wear. Hopefully Adam will chime in and explain that aspect a little better. At first I thought it was just the tires breaking loose in the dirt. So I took it out on the pavement to confirm. It did the same thing. Here is a video Adam made on a test Commander. It shows the over rev I'm talking about. Fast forward to minute 2:50 to see what I'm talking about. Mine is not that bad, but it's still there. I'll take some videos of mine later to show the difference.

Last edited by Xelvic; 02-04-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Xelvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Member #1094
View RiverRider's Photo Gallery()
Looks like I will be hurting myself or breaking something in the near future
Thanks for the time and effort to put that together.
Nicely done.
R/R.
RiverRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #312
View Xelvic's Photo Gallery()
Ok, I did some searching on what he said about the over rev in the video in another forum.I remember him saying that the new upgraded plates were a little heavier then the old style. I wonder if he accounted for this with different weights with the upgraded plates. This may be an easy fix if it is. That's if it's even a problem at all. Mark, do you notice this on yours? Mine is not nearly as bad is it was in the video, but it's still there. Anyway, this is what he said...

"the overrev was not enough weight in the primary i believe if you would also check that other thread i did say i got overzealous and put a clutch on and did not get the weights correct before i put it on. i just bolted the setup up and trailered the machine out to the test strip and made a video. overrev, and too high of a shiftout and it was still nearly twice as fast as stock. i read you claimed i doctored the video, ha. you believe whatever you want pal. i will put another video labeld "just for greg" and the next time i take that commander out i will be SURE that the shiftout is spot on and there is -0- over-rev. the tires will hook and that machine will fly. when you catch up to me let me know but for now you are way behind."

Last edited by Xelvic; 01-27-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Xelvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 AM   #4

Member #686
View Flyingbryan's Photo Gallery()
:commanderrol l:

I got my Airdam Clutches today . Got the Adam specal with the complete primary setup with the new plates and STM secondary for the hill climbs and if I have to take it in for warranty on the engine or drivetrain I can just put in the stock clutches.
The sad part is I didn't have time to get them in today by the time UPS showed up. I did however get the Wicked EPS (electronic power steering) put in and WOW really nice. I will put up more tomorrow.

Thanks Adam
Old 01-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #5

Member #1609
View miller48's Photo Gallery()
so we still have the over rev to red line on take off this su*ks i was ready to order one!
miller48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #6

Member #1312
View jd-ford-hd's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by Xelvic View Post
So I got home today, and there it was............................................... ............................. I don't know if it's belt slip or not.

Engine breaking is as good as stock.

Much quieter than the stock clutch.

Takes off much smoother than stock.

At any speed in any gear between 0 and 50, if you hammer it, it absolutley rips. Overall I'm happy with the purchase. I can't wait for an all day ride to really check it out. I am a little worried about the over rev when you hammer it. I hope it's not belt slip, because if it is, it may cause premature belt wear.
The over-rev is definately belt slip. These CVTs are not toggle switches. You can't make the belt go from standing still to immediate rotation without some slip. The primary is grabbing such a small section of the belt at start-off. I don't think it will hurt the belt in the long run, cuz in reality, how many banzai, WFO take-offs do we make in a normal day's ride..!
Thank you Xelvic for a full report, not sugar coated, on your purchase and installation. Sealing the back-up plate is a great idea. Thanks for mentioning that as well...!

Oh yeah, please report back on engine braking when you have had a chance to take it down a 15/20% grade or steeper.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #7

Member #1609
View miller48's Photo Gallery()
Not a bid deal who are you trying to fool? If the belt is slipping to red line on take off this is wearing the belt out ALLOT sooner! Now what happens when the gizmo comes out you will be hitting the rev limiter for sure! Adam sounds like a great guy but he doesn't have this clutch dialed in if it is on the red line on take off per his own words that the clutch weights are to lite.

Last edited by miller48; 01-28-2011 at 07:14 AM.
miller48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

Member #852
View Cclark's Photo Gallery()
[QUOTE=Xelvic;27727]

I know Adam said you could hit 50+ in low. You can't, the speed limiter stops at 40, just like stock.

I think that is with the gizmo you can hit 59ish
Cclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #9

Member #430
View ChrisRowe's Photo Gallery()
It would be interesting to take a stock belt measure it and put it in one of these clutches then run the crap out of it for a few weeks, and then measure the belt again to see how much wear there is.
Is the redline thing fixable with changing the weights out?
I am intersted in changing my clutch out as many of you are, but I want a put it in and forget it thing. I know there is always gonna be maintenance, but I like doing things right the first time so ya dont have to worry about it on down the road.

Chris
ChrisRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #10
Banned

Member #685
View BREAKINWIND's Photo Gallery()
i agree chris that why i have not ordered one if you watch the vid and time how long the over rev is that belt wont last long.. but also we dont drive that way all the time.. my point is if im going to spend money its going to do what i want
BREAKINWIND is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Search tags for this page

cvtech clutch for can am commander

air dam clutch commander

can am commander clutch

airdam clutch reviews

can am commander airdam clutch

can am commander cvtech clutch

cv tech can am clutch reviews
airdam cvtech clutch kit
airdam clutch can am commander
what does ostacruiser do
cvtech clutch kit can am commander
can am wet clutch
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.