How To Adjust Your Fox Shocks

This is a discussion on How To Adjust Your Fox Shocks within the Commander General Discussion forums, part of the Can-Am Commander General Discussion category; This is a photo of the rear shock and I’ve added the information provided in the operator’s guide. I thought I’d post it to start ...

Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 AM   #1

Member #646
View 56Nomad's Photo Gallery()
How To Adjust Your Fox Shocks

This is a photo of the rear shock and I’ve added the information provided in the operator’s guide.
I thought I’d post it to start a string and find out how some of us are adjusting them and also if anyone
wants throw out questions about these Fox Racing Shocks.

To adjust compression and rebound damping to factory settings, proceed as follows:
1. Turn adjuster clockwise until it stops.
2. Turn adjuster counter clockwise 12 clicks

Pre-Load Adjustment (use tool from vehicle took kit)
Shorten the spring for a firmer ride
Lengthen the spring for a softer ride
Factory Setting front (12.2 inches)
Factory Setting rear (14.3 inches)

Low speed compression adjustment (use screwdriver)
Turning it clockwise increases shock damping action (stiffer)
Turning it counterclockwise decreased shock damping action (softer) - Factory Setting 12 Clicks

High speed compression adjustment (use 17mm wrench)
Turning it clockwise increases shock damping action (Harder)
Turning it counterclockwise decreased shock damping action (softer) - Factory Setting 12 Clicks

Rebound damping adjustment (use screwdriver)
Turning it clockwise increases shock damping action (Harder)

Last edited by 56Nomad; 01-11-2011 at 12:50 AM.
56Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #2

Member #896
View driverdawg's Photo Gallery()
Nomad,

Can I borrow this for my Blog?

I am putting a reference section together.
driverdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

Member #1148
View Hooty222's Photo Gallery()
Awsome post (NOT DISRESPECT) but If I may.... To clarify "preload" that adjustment is for the purpose of positioning the stroke of the shock in the desired position.. Softer or harder ride is accomplished by the diameter and "wrap" (Close together or far apart on each turn of the spring when its made). And if applicable the screw settings to control the oil flow thru shock to "fine tune" the action. Generally speaking you would want to load your vehicle with a driver, gas cans, etc than set preload to get the commander to its orig. ride height.. This is all to accomplish just enough Negative travel, and the rest in Positive travel to give the best ride.. Its a balance.. Preload that is.
Hooty222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
MMS
Banned

Member #961
View MMS's Photo Gallery()
This is for bikes but the principle is the same....Just don't ask me where your forks are

How-To Presented By BikeBandit.com - Set Compression and Rebound Damping
MMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #5

Member #646
Quote: Originally Posted by driverdawg View Post
Nomad,

Can I borrow this for my Blog?

I am putting a reference section together.
You bet, you can use it as is, but..... let me make any corrections as necessary
Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #6

Member #646
Quote: Originally Posted by Hooty222 View Post
Awsome post (NOT DISRESPECT) but If I may.... To clarify "preload" that adjustment is for the purpose of positioning the stroke of the shock in the desired position.. Softer or harder ride is accomplished by the diameter and "wrap" (Close together or far apart on each turn of the spring when its made). And if applicable the screw settings to control the oil flow thru shock to "fine tune" the action. Generally speaking you would want to load your vehicle with a driver, gas cans, etc than set preload to get the commander to its orig. ride height.. This is all to accomplish just enough Negative travel, and the rest in Positive travel to give the best ride.. Its a balance.. Preload that is.
Hooty,

I took the information right from the owner's manual..... is there better wording?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Member #1148
View Hooty222's Photo Gallery()
Nomad, you did awsome.. Just wanted to give alittle info that I have gained thru the years... To many people that I have ridden with in my beginning years explained preload just like can am.... one of my learning... example my fat buddy cranked up his preload on his bike to set ride height/preload... That worked sort of... when he set his preload it pegged the shock to full extention after he got off...all said and done... he really needed a spring change for his weight. than fine tune to "preload" spec. than use rebound and compression to suit conditions / speed of ride.
Think I am rambling..... and hijacking your post... I will sit silent waiting for my commander to arrive. deposit down OCT I am sure its coming..... right?
Hooty222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #8

Member #1312
View jd-ford-hd's Photo Gallery()
Quote: Originally Posted by 56Nomad View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Hooty222 View Post
Hooty,

I took the information right from the owner's manual..... is there better wording?
Yes. The spring adjustments on the X change "ride height". That is the terminology used in auto racing. I checked mine for rebound stroke and found that by jacking it up, the shocks would extend another inch or so. That means screwing the the spanner nuts down will only extend the shock, hence raising the ride height. With these shocks you can actually play with corner to corner weight bias exactly as is done on race cars...!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #9

Member #1312
View jd-ford-hd's Photo Gallery()
If you own an XT or base Commander, do the same thing I did and jack up each end while watching or measuring your eye to eye length on your shocks. If the shocks extend significantly, then these base shocks also have rebound stroke left in static position. That means by clicking the adjuster ring to one of the three or four notches available, you are also changing the "ride height".

P.S. 56 did a great job putting that together. Easily copied for a shortcut on my desktop, makes it easier than owner's manual....!!

Last edited by jd-ford-hd; 01-11-2011 at 04:47 PM.
jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #10

Member #1538
View superbri's Photo Gallery()
Nice thread, does anybody know the uncompressed lenght of the front and rear shock and spring. I was going to put some kings together but just needed the info. as i'm still waiting for my commander.
superbri is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Search tags for this page

how to adjust fox shocks

how to adjust fox shocks on a can am commander
fox shocks lsc adjustment
how to adjust fox shocks on can am renegade
adjusting utv fox shocks
adjusting tool for fox coilovers
fox shox how to.adjust
shock ajustment on can am commander
how do i make adjustments to my fox shocks for utv
how to adjust ride height on can am maverick
fox shock rebound and compression adjustments
adjusting can am coilovers
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.