Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Warn XL winch instead of RT

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  hunter4racks 
#1 ·
I was looking over my 2012 Commander yesterday and while inspecting the winch never noticed it has a Warn XL 4000 instead of the RT like advertised. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this on theirs.

#2 ·
Talked to Warn they said if the XL winch is gray it's the same as the RT w/brake and sealed. If the XL winch is black it wouldn't have a break or be a sealed unit.

#3 ·
Mine came with the XL too...,
They do what they want

#5 ·
Yes, if the housing is grey your good if it's black then stay away from water they are not sealed and have no break. Unless it's in a covered trailer or inside a building I wouldn't want one that's not sealed.

#6 ·
OK I am a little confused here. As I look at my winch on the left is the Motor and is black says XL4000. On the right side there is a red lever(that releases the cable drum) and the cover it is attached to is gray. Then there is a black cover/trim before the cable spool.

Have you got a Pic of the good one? Thanks

#7 ·
What are the differences between the two winches? Which one do I want to have?

Thanks

Jason

#8 ·
The body of the winch should be gray like the Warn RT and XT. It may have some black decals (not sure) but I'll check tomorrow. I don't think Can Am would put a non-sealed winch on so if it came with a winch from Can Am your probably ok. If your looking for a winch for a Commander or other ATV and come across an XL that has a black body stay away from it. There not made to be exposed to water and do not have a drum break.

#10 ·
Thanks for the pics hunting721, I was going to try but couldn't find a spot were I could get a good pic. They are definitely berried, mines the same as yours and has worked very well so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.