Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Homemade Doors

41K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Boogerhead 
#1 ·
Wanting to get ideas on homemade doors since aftermarket ones are so expensive and everyone complains about how hard they are to install because of the tolerances. So if anyone has made a set of homemade doors pics and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
This is a great idea. You could use puck board (skid plate) as it's cheap. What to use as a frame?
Door hinges and lock might be an issue.

#3 ·
There are a few guys on here that made their own doors and put pictures up. If you do a search you should be able to find them. Some turned out pretty nice.

#4 ·
The problem with homemade doors is, unless you're a pretty awesome fabricator, they're gonna look like home made doors. It's like putting a home made canopy and a new pickup. Why spend all that money on a nice Commander and then go cheap on accessories? I'm not saying it can't be done. But I think the doors are well worth the money. I'm going to install my TurnKey doors today.

#5 ·
Rhino not trying to say im the best fabricator but I rebuild and customize old dodge pickups and know how to operator all kinds of machinary (at 21years old) and with the help of my dad and uncle we can design almost anything. Just trying to get ideas on what worked for everyone else. Pics so my homemade roof, homemade plow and totally restored 82 ram d150. Just thought id share some of my talents.

Attachments

#12 ·
I toyed with the ideal of making my own doors for over a year. I have all the tools to do it including a hydraulic tubing bender and still decided to buy a set. Way to many other projects to deal with! I went with the Turnkeys as they open like normal doors. Due to flex and fittment aftermarket doors can and do open. I do not like the Suicide doors for that reason. If one opens in the woods say goodbye to it and what ever it's attached too. With the Turnkey's it would just get slammed shut. JMHO

#16 ·
Fishing for fish is always a maybe lol

#20 ·
#22 ·
Looks awesome the graphics really set it off!!

#23 ·
idk .. seems no matter what the cost: bought or home made, no one can give me a good enough reason to have doors... they hold in the heat from the engine, which i do my best to get rid of !! and the noise they keep in that i also want to get rid of .... countless reviews say it's hotter and louder on all riders with doors so i will pass !!

#24 ·
I use doors to keep mud out and to save my legs from harpoons and logs that get flipped up . I have got dents in my doors from stuff hitting them . I think I want the door to be hit and not my leg .
I know a guy that lives a hour away from me that had a stick come in and go into his leg . They used a chainsaw to cut the stick and then he was taken to the hospital with a 3” dia. Stick stuck in his leg . That sold me on doors . I can dig up a picture if needed

#27 ·
yikes that doesn't sound fun .. i don't do any extreme riding, i ride the trails, get into a little standing water or stream here and there, mud rarely...... i bought the SxS to go and see those places i would have never walked too or have ridden a bike to see.... i certainly don't have a way to fabricate any homemade doors, so i think i would rather spend the $1000 bucks (since i need 4 doors) on another road trip to somewhere i haven't been yet !!

Reactions: acefire
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.